Thursday, November 08, 2007

Yes I know it was over a week ago.


I have nothing to write about. So I guess I will write about something I should have written about well over a week ago: Halloween.

This year Kamryn was Batman. Not batgirl – “that’s gross, Maman.” And Sam was her faithful sidekick Robin. He was soooo excited to be Robin. He was sooooo cute. They both were.

It was the kind of evening that makes you happy to be a parent. A family night. There are those times in my life where I just stand back and look at where we came from and where we are now and just marvel. I never thought this would be my life. I never really believed it and I never really understood what having children would mean.

It was a good night and I was so proud of Kamryn.

Kamryn had to decide on a costume in late September in order to do a class presentation. She really wanted to be Batman. Had her heart set on it and I wasn’t going to stand in her way. She KNEW she was being different than all the other little girls and she was just happy in her own skin. That I believe should be the goal of every parent: that their child is happy being themselves. I was so nervous for her on the day of her presentation. I was worried that some little girl or boy would say something disparaging to her. But that didn’t happen. :) I don't think that ever happens to Kamryn she's just that kind of person(still I'm a mom; I worry) . She did really well on her presentation. All sorts of wonderful chest puffing stuff in the teacher's report. But then there was actual Halloween night. When the gazzillionth person gasped and said “Batman is a girl!”, Kamryn looked them in the eye and stated without hesitation that “Girl’s can be superheroes too.” It made my night. She’s my superhero (her brother’s too :)).

1 comment:

pithydithy said...

Kamryn kicks ass as Batman and as a person too-- I swear, I'm proud of her from all the way up here. Girls can be superheroes indeed.