Friday, November 02, 2007

Less Deep Thoughts Day 2

Today the Canadian dollar set a record. I think it set one the day before yesterday as well. But this one is a big one. Since the dollar began trading on the open market in 1950 it has never been worth so much against the USD.

Normally, I would greet that information with mild interest. I’ve got to tell you though, I’m watching this the way I used to watch baseball stats when the Toronto Blue Jays were headed towards their first World Series win back in the 90s. Truly, it has taken on the proportions of a sporting event. Almost the first thing I do when I get into work in the morning is fire up the old computer and check in at www.xe.com to see what the dollar is trading at right now this instant. I check back several times a day – charting its progress. I read newspaper articles on where it’s expected to go. I have started watching the business channel.

I must admit, I’m learning a lot about business and the financial markets. Things that I’ve never paid any attention. And I’m finding it interesting (shhhhh don’t tell my Dad; he’d fall over). Perhaps I have a new and bizarre hobby. Correction I do have a new and very bizarre hobby: Loonie watching! I’m not alone. Strangers in elevators, cashiers at the mall, people at the bus stop: everyone is talking about this. No wonder, it’s a lot of fun. Kind of in the way baseball stats were a lot of fun as the Blue Jays marched towards an inevitable championship. Note, I haven’t looked at a baseball stat in ages :( I suspect my new hobby will in a few months meet the same fate.

First the dollar can’t maintain this pace or momentum. Eventually, it will fall below the US dollar again. I base this on no real factual knowledge but rather the basis that I never thought I would see what is happening in my lifetime. The first time I checked xe.com and saw the Canadian dollar was trading above the US-dollar, I refreshed the screen because I thought it was wrong (more pathetic: I was checking because I was EXPECTING to see exactly what I saw but I still couldn’t believe it). Even if it does slide down the mid-80 cent mark, as increasingly less-credible economists keep predicting (one guy who I laughed at predicted it would hit $1.50; he’s starting to look more credible than the other guys), eventually I will get bored of this game.

Second, the reason for my excitement will be over by the end of January and after that – who cares. We’re going to Disney World – woohoo! We planned our trip and made our reservations before the dollar started its meteoric rise. It was an unheard of .12 cents below what it is now. Okay that’s just ridiculous. It has saved us over a hundred dollars on our vacation (I have to pay the balance off next month) so far. This definitely makes the game more fun. How long can I ride this wave before my paper-savings whither away? How much more could we potentially save if I hold off paying off the balance until the LAST possible moment. The dollar’s rise is making things that are ridiculously expensive here (compared to the US) cheaper which is nice but hardly as immediate an effect on our finances as the trip to Disney will be. Although Christmas shopping might be interesting.

So there you go. That’s what I’m obsessing about today.

I feel kind of rich. Which is silly since my bank account is still as empty as it has always been.

No comments: