Thursday, November 22, 2007

I ordered the West Wing on DVD.

It’s one of my all-time favorite TV shows. This evidenced by the fact that I laid out $170.00 to own it. Daniel likes it to which helped justify the purchase.

My all-time favorite show (don’t laugh) is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I never watched Buffy until well after it had ceased production. In fact I scoffed that anyone would waste their time on it. But while on parental leave after adopting Sam, one afternoon I happened to catch ½ an episode probably 4 seasons in and I desperately needed to find out where the story was going AND where it had come from. I didn’t know where I was in the series so I rented season one and just started watching. Best 7 weeks of TV viewing in my life. It is such a fun little show. I miss Buffy terribly. I would buy that series as well and watch it all over again, and again, and again … but Daniel would make fun of me.

West Wing is a little more grown-up. Now that I’m making my living as a speech writer I watch from a different perspective than I did before. I wish things worked here they way they worked there. They all seem to be having lots of fun but not doing all that much work. Still Rob Lowe is a hottie and you can’t argue that. And Martin Sheen has some great dialog – he’s not a hottie lol.

The Canadian dollar thing has made wasting money buying TV shows I’ve already seen quite reasonable. If I were to buy the West Wing from a Canadian store it would run me almost $300 – I just checked Amazon.ca: $299.96. Seriously, that’s just WRONG. Especially since if all you do is change the “.ca” suffix in the address line to “.com” you can get a copy for $161.49! Try it – you too can stare at the screen slack-jawed. For years Canadians have just accepted that things are more expensive here “because of the dollar.” Now the lie is being shown for exactly what it is. Ten years ago the dollar was a ridiculously low .65 cents to the USD but geez it’s been in the high eighties to low nineties for quite a while. In recent weeks, some stores here have made adjustments or pretended to in the meanwhile A LOT of stuff is being bought online and A LOT of gas is being burned by idling vehicles waiting to cross the border.

Anyway this wasn’t meant to be a post that droned on about the dollar. It was intended to help me dream about the imminent arrival of my complete series collection of the West Wing.

1 comment:

MissAdaptation said...

I got hooked on Buffy while on bedrest wtih Duncan. I loved it. Vampires are very sexy! West Wing is one of my all time favorites, and I was dying for us to move to D.C. while it was on!