Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The post where life isn't all that bad.

Okay so in the bright light of day my life isn’t THAT pathetic. Isn’t it weird how moods wash over you? No I haven’t become cheerleader popular overnight. But I never have been and its never bothered me all that much before. I have a husband who loves me. Wonderful kids. A job I really enjoy. Colleagues that make it fun to come to work each day. I have a good group of friends, even though they aren’t bosom buddies, and I suspect that there would be people who would attend my funeral and be sad if I died tomorrow (okay that’s just morbid lol).


I was just having a down hour. I can’t even say it was a down day because the day itself was pretty good.


On to bigger and better things. Sam has figured out how to spell his name. Now he won’t stop. Careful what you wish for. He has, as I have alluded to a weird learning style. Its going to drive me nuts. It was that way when he was learning (or in his case not learning) to talk. We were worried enough to have him tested because he just wasn’t progressing and then overnight he turned into an orator. Last winter I spent the weekend in front of the computer learning about colour blindness because no matter what he could not identify his colours. By the next weekend he had them down cold. Now his name. In learning he is completely clueless about something – totally – and then he just knows. There is no gradualness to anything. No gentle learning process. There is complete confusion and then total mastery. He is very proud of being able to spell his name by the way. I’m dreading teaching him to write it. Oh why oh why didn’t I really name him Sam. ;)


Daniel is taking an oddly healthy Kamryn to the doctors this morning. She is perky and happy and bouncing about and running a fever of about 100 that spikes to 102/103 every evening around dinner and last night resulted in crying over an intense headache. It’s been five days. She needs to see a doctor. I suspect she just has a virus but someday it would be nice if she could go back to school. I hope its not, as I initially suspected but later discounted, Strep. Then I will feel horribly guilty for letting my poor kid go 5 days with untreated strep but she hasn’t acted particularly sick and I didn’t want to waste the doctor’s time. I always drag them in and have her look at me and tell me it’s a virus, go home. That was fine when they were really small but they are big vigorous kids; I need to learn to relax a little.


Okay I’m going to go back to not doing work now. I’m working on a 5 minute speech that is due on Friday. The deadline is short but a 5 minute speech is sooooooo easy to write; it’s almost a waste of my time. So basically today will be an exercise in looking busy, if I’m lucky. If I’m not lucky as tends to be the case, some huge emergency (read 20 minute speech on some completely obscure topic needed by Thursday at noon) will come up. I always get dinged with those which I’m beginning to resent a little. I like to be useful but those kinds of taskings get exhausting. Right now though I’m just going to try to coast under the radar.

No comments: