Tuesday, November 20, 2007

How to make a normally cheerful person grumpy.

I had an extremely frustrating day today. Pull out your hair frustrating. Scream from the rafters frustrating. Quit you job frustrating. Well maybe not quite that frustrating.

So anyone who follows this blog knows that I was on about a long speech I have to write. It's to be given on Saturday. Now really it doesn't take THAT long to write a 20 minute speech. Took me about 10 hours of real work. But a good portion of that was on the weekend. It was on the weekend because while I was assigned the speech late Thursday and it wasn't really due to the client for a week (I suspect they will be screaming for it tomorrow) we have a lengthy and detailed vetting and approval process.

Here's how it goes. I write a brilliant and scintillating speech (once this one is posted on the web I might link to it for anyone who is interested). Then its reviewed by my immediate superior - who makes some suggestions. I fix it. Then I send it out to a number of people (this time it was five but they also send it out to even more people) obstensibly for them to check it for consistency and accuracy (although its rare that they fail to comment on style as well - ugh!). I fix it. Then I send it to up the approvals chain - my Director, my Director General, the Assistant Deputy Minister, the Deputy Minister and the Chief of Defence. For a speech on the topic I'm writing on I also have to send it over to other government departments (two!)for their approval. After all those people -- I think we're at 13 -- have signed off (and sometimes it goes back and forth a few times) then and only then can I deliver a finished product. Oh I forgot, I have to get portions of it translated as well; that can take at least half a day. Once I deliver it, the Prime Minister's office takes a peek as well and it generally comes binging back from them with suggested changes (and political additions because we only write apolitical speeches) as well. So that's why it takes soooooo long to write something that really only takes about 10 hours to produce.

I worked the weekend so that on Monday morning I would have a finished product that I could get approved my my immediate superior and get off to vetters first thing. My hope was that I'd get it back from them before end of day yesterday and start the long approval process today. That was my hope. Ha! I spent ALL day today waiting for one of my vetters to provide some crucial information on something another vetter felt strongly about. All friggin' day. The were orginially asked to provide their comments by close of business on Monday. I sent e-mails, I called. I was nice. I was nasty. And finally, at around 4 pm, I gave up. I made the changes suggested by those who had done their jobs yesterday and started approvals. You know those I was waiting on spent more time passing the buck than in getting me the small amount of info I asked for. Worse I'm almost positive it will land on my desk tomorrow or Thursday when its either too late to make a difference or just late enough to have me running around like a decapitated chicken for hours.

Today was SUCH a collossal waste of time; during a process where there is no time to waste.

I'm just so mad.

I was going to write about snow.

It snowed today for the first time (we've had flurries for a few weeks but today there is real snow on the ground). It was icky and wet and yucky. It was not a joyful occurence. Maybe I'll write about it tomorrow. Tonight, I just had to blow off some steam. Thanks for indulging me.

Stupid gits (no not you guys ;)).

No comments: