Friday, November 16, 2007

Pride Cometh Before the Fall

Ugh! So after all my cockiness about having nothing to do I have a HUGE speech to write for a HUGE event – only 200 people but the national media will be there and will be listening so the audience gets a bit bigger.

The last speech I wrote of this magnitude took a good month to pull together. It was fun to write, incredibly well received, and allowed me to hang a gold star above my little cubicle (completely figuratively of course).

Now I know how one-hit wonders feel. I don’t know if there is any of that left in me. I used all my ideas. I have less than a week to write it (couple of days actually since I need to have something off to my vetters by Monday) and while I don’t really have to do any research because all the old stuff is still in my head – it is through research that I find my “hook.” I don’t have a hook. I’m panicking and procrastinating. This isn’t good.

Daniel is at home with the kids. He’s taking them to see Bee Movie this afternoon with half of Kamryn’s kindergarten class – a suggestion of an enterprising stay-at-home mom (today is a professional development day and school is closed). And here I sit writing about Afghanistan and what a wonderful mission it is – blech!

Update: Poor Daniel didn’t take our horribly behaved children to the movies because they were behaving horribly. He had a miserable day with hyper non-listening kids. Writer’s block is preferable even if it means dragging work home on the weekend. Lol.

No comments: