Sunday, November 04, 2007

Pot, have you met Kettle?

So after all my pontificating I find myself in a little dilema of my own. Kamryn showed the first symptoms of a cold on Friday night. By Saturday afternoon she was running a fever of about 100, give or take, and had picked up a nice cough. Today her temp was normal every time I took it and her cough was a little less but by after dinner (in a day spent playing outside and then running like a madwoman all evening with her brother and cousin) she had an elevated temp again (not quite 100) and had almost completely lost her voice. Hmmmm…

School tomorrow or not?

I’m relative certain that by morning her fever will be gone (as it was this morning). Kamryn is the kind of kid who gets a fever if she gets a particularly nasty splinter. She's that sensitive -- a fever doesn't mean all that much in her case (although I'd never send her to school with one). She isn't acting all that sick. She’s coughing a little and is oddly fascinated with her own disappearing voice but apart from that she’s fine. Did I mention she had a VERY active evening playing and carrying on? It seems like a waste to keep her home. Then again I berated that other mother so soundly.

I could play hookey from work tomorrow and just give her a break. Then again the concepts she will miss learning about in this all important Kindergarten year might mean she will only have a chance at a 7th rate university at best. ;) In all seriousness, keeping her home when she isn't sick enough to actually be home is annoying for both her and whoever has to watch her. This child needs to be in school. She likes it. She thrives off of it. But again, how much thriving will she do if she is sick?

Nasty thought but I'm going to bed hoping that when I take her temp at 7:30 tomorrow morning it's at least 100. That will make it cut and dry. Here's hoping my kid is really sick? What a wickedly bad mother am I?

P.S. In after-hours trading the Canadian dollar hit $1.09! This beats the REd Socks anyday!

No comments: