Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Surprise. Hope you had no plans for the weekend!

So on Wednesday the hospital calls for some pre-op information from me. She finishes the call by saying so you’re lap is scheduled for Friday. And I respond, “no, it’s scheduled for March 10th”. “No,” she says, “it’s down for Friday, didn’t your doctor tell you?” ummmm…..NO!

Sigh. So I call Daniel and it turns out he can’t even get Friday off work – so I’m pissed at him – oh I was mad at him. Work basically walks all over him and he lets them. He doesn’t even have a full time position with them – nor will he ever get one! They really abuse him. I'd actually still be mad at him but he had this little "oh woe is me, everyone is mad at me, pout" on Thurday evening that was so pathetic it would have melted icebergs. Anyway, so Daniel can’t get Friday off work. I work things out with my parents to take the kids. I have to rush down the next day for all my pre-op bloodwork etc.

My surgery is scheduled for 1:40 in the afternoon. No food or drink from 11:00 the night before. ‘k I’m fine with that. My father drops me off and I just kind of sit around and wait being basically ignored. Seems the Day surgery unit was really busy (lots of people sitting around complaining about how delayed their surgery times are.) I’m parked in the corner and honestly no one was paying me any attention. I was almost positive at any moment someone would come and ask me my name and tell me that I wasn’t supposed to be there until March 10th. Oddly though, my surgery was on time. The anesthesiologist (who was an awesome guy!) visited and my doctor visited and chatted with me but I had no questions so they were short conversations. The nurses who were basically ignoring me never even TRIED to start an IV so suddenly they were calling me for surgery and everyone was wondering where my IV was. In the end that wasn’t so bad since when the anesthesiologist (that’s a hard word to spell) tried in the OR he couldn’t find a vein – anywhere! Well he did find a good one in my neck but joked that generally women preferred he stayed away from their necks as it leaves an awful green bruise. So they had to put me out with gas and then put the IV in (veins rise to the surface when we sleep apparently). The other amusing/odd thing was that the pulsox monitor wouldn’t work. I have Raynaud’s Syndrome (the capilliaries in my hands and feet spasm cutting off the circulation when I’m cold or stressed) and they did a good job of keeping me freezing so no wonder. The anesthesiologist kept teasing me about being difficult and that he would just have to hold my hand (I think that was his way of discretely checking my pulse without freaking me out lol).

So it turns out I am a hypochondriac. No real explanation for the pain I keep experiencing on my right side. She did fine a miniscule amount of endo but on my LEFT side. She lazered that. On the right side all she found was fluid (don’t know why that was there) which she drained but that’s it. So kind of a waste of time for all of us. She really wants me to go on the Pill which I really don’t want to do and I’m sure her little pregnant self doesn’t understand. It’s not that I’m waiting on the miracle pregnancy (another kid would actually cause some problems for us) I just don’t want to have to take the stupid pill! Ah well. I might have to. She commented that the pain my just “go away” after having had the gas in my abdomen. I find that a little unlikely though. We’ll see and hope.

After 4 days I’m pretty much healthy and back to normal. Daniel took over the kids from Friday night on. It’s the first time he’s really done what I do everyday (take care of the two of them full time, no help). He’s done well but it’s hard and I know that now he knows how hard it is.

Okay, it’s WAY past noon and I haven’t got up yet. Daniel took the kids to the playground at the mall. If he comes home and finds me still in bed he’s going to grumble. Must get up and pretend to have been up and about for hours. lol

No comments: