Monday, February 06, 2006

Going to Disney... Next Year

Another happy note to balance my last entry.

We are planning a trip to Disney for next year. We seriously contemplated it for this year but figured Sam would not be occupied enough being too little and a bored Sam is a screaming miserable Sam. Next year he should be able to enjoy it a little more. We want to go and stay in the Magic Kingdom at one of the resorts. This idea has been poo-pooed by some of my friends. If I had a nickel for every time someone told me “why go if they won’t remember it?” Hunh? I don’t get the logic there just because they won’t have distinct memories of it does that mean we can’t do anything fun with them? Also, it’s a trade-off. I know because my parents waited “until we would remember it.” I was 11. At 11 there isn’t much magic left. Cinderella is a lady in a dress. Next year I know Cinderella will still be Cinderella for Kamryn. I’m looking forward to them experiencing the “Magic” because without that it’s really just another huge amusement park.

I’ve also been told it’s a nightmare with young kids. You can’t tell me that they designed this multi-billion dollar park complex for children and totally neglected things for kids under 5 to do?!? Lol These excuses for not going really sound like excuses to me. My SIL’s family used the same excuses. Their kids are now 12, 14, and 18 and they haven’t been yet. I think they would probably remember it now.

So what if they can’t go on ALL the rides. There are so many more things to do than just rides. When we were there for our honeymoon (8 years ago?!?) they were just about to open the Animal Kingdom. I am looking forward to seeing the park opened among other things. We want to take a week and take it easy, not spend each and every day park hopping rather do things are the spirit moves us. If we went to hang out in our pajamas in the hotel for the day, so be it. The idea is to have a family vacation where my kids have some fun.

I asked on one of the Inciid boards what people thought and heard enough good reports from people who had actually done it to discount the negative “support” of my friends and family. We’re thinking next January would be a good time to go as that seems to be off season. When we were on our honeymoon it was off season too (first week of September) and the lines were manageable. The lines are the only thing about Disney that I worry about. That and hurricanes. Lol On our honeymoon we “weathered: Hurricane Earl as it was it only sideswiped Florida. Think we are pretty safe in January.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you are ready, please let me know. I work for a travel agency on the side and we specialize in getting you the best deals. We mostly do Disney so that's our "thing"

My email via the travel agency is tricia@magicalmemoriestravel.com