Sunday, February 19, 2006

Kid-Free Night

Daniel and I had a kid-free night last night. Dropped the kids off at my parents yesterday afternoon and went to see Nickelback play their last night of their Canadian tour.

Nickelback was awesome! Had a great time. We had general admission tickets because that was all I could get (that was all I thought was available). But that is what you get when you buy tickets less than a month before the concert. I suspect when tickets were first released we could have gotten ticketed seats. Anyways we arrived in time for the 1st opening act (there were two Deco Jones (pass) and Live (awesome!)) and as we walked down to the floor I said to Daniel let’s just sit in some seats and if no one claims them they are ours. So we sat down, about ten rows up from the floor in seats I suspect went for more than a hundred dollars a pop. People kept walking in front of us to get to the aisle so we moved up a row. After the opening act, someone came and claimed the seats we were in so we moved down a couple of rows to better seats. After a bit, a single guy came and claimed our two seats so we moved over two seats and there we stayed for the whole concert. Excellent seats – and it was a packed house so we really lucked out. Poor guy next to us sat by himself. He had obviously been stood up and I felt so bad for him. He kept checking his cell phone.

Okay people brought kids to this concert! Little kids (there was a 6 year old sitting in front of me). I’m sure the parents with their progeny appreciated the woman on the floor sitting her boyfriend’s shoulders who pulled down her tank top and massaged her breasts through one entire song – her image projected on the screen behind the band. Ottawa is a pretty tame place and it was a pretty tame crowd (the “mosh pit” was at most people jostling a little to be at the front of the crowd). Nevertheless, I don’t understand – Floor seats were $60 – that would pay for a babysitter people!

Anyway, my ears still hurt. I was wearing earplugs but I foolishly (consciously but still foolishly) pulled them out whenever they played a song I really liked which was pretty often. It was loud. I was kinda sad when it ended that they didn’t play what has become one of my favorite songs, “I Wanna be a Rockstar” but understood they couldn’t play everything. Then they came back and played it as the first song in their Encore so I left completely satisfied and babbling to my very understanding husband who is NOT a Nickelback fan. He has taken to calling me “his wife the metalhead.”

It was nice to have a night to ourselves. Daniel and I hit a new restaurant on the way home and had some munchies. Restaurant was unimpressive but it was good to have the adult time. Then home exhausted to bed, long day. I woke up at 9:45 this morning. Felt awesome to sleep in. Didn’t make it out of bed until almost 12:00! For all you people with dirty minds we, mostly, ;) watched the Olympics on TV. Feeling really well rested, after a nice breakfast, we collected our happy and tired children from my parents. They both fell asleep in the car on the way home and are napping now. I think the entire family had a banner weekend even though we were apart. I used to dread being separated from Kamryn but in retrospect, a short (can’t handle more than 24 hours yet) break now and again is probably good for the whole family.

No comments: