Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Three Cheers for Customer Service

So today was a day of contrasts.

FIrst - Sock-gate! The kids need VERY little for school. They wear uniforms and school uniforms were bought back in April (except socks which we don't have to buy through the school - this is important; you'll see in a sec.). Their supply list was short and I took care of that a week ago. Today we just wanted to kill some time so we headed to the mall. I thought perhaps the sock supply from last year needed stocking up a bit. Did you know that navy blue socks are impossible to find in mid-August? Impossible.

Gymboree has a waiting list! The saleslady offered to put me on it and I told her not to bother. It was too incredulous. A waiting list for socks?!? Children's Place was sold out. Gap had a pair or two but I don't like the quality of their dress socks. I guess I should have bought them in April. I think I'll just get some from Land's End (edited to add: guess who is also out of blue socks?).

Speaking of Land's End. I called to have Sam's backpack from last year replaced because the bottom wore out (it had help!). The customer service rep pointed out that if it was dragged the warranty didn't really apply but that she could replace it as a courtesy. Big cheer for a reliable company. She could have fought me on it. I would have folded easily - she had a valid point but the next knapsack I purchased would probably come from LLBean (also a good company) but her attitude (fair - they didn't owe me ANYTHING - but generous) means I will likely come back to Lands End next year and buy Kamryn (who will need a bigger bag than she has now) one of their more high end bags.

Okay, back on track with my day of contrasts. There aren't a lot of places to go in this town to buy kids shoes. If you don't want to hit a big department store - Sears, Walmart, the Bay, Zellars - there are few independent stores that sell children's shoes. Kiddy Kobbler though has been around since I was a child. They tend to be a little more expensive than other options (generally the shoes they stock will run you > $60) but their selection is extensive and their staff are well trained. They give good advice and will just as soon tell you not to buy a pair of shoes as talk you into a pair. This is important for us. Kamryn has "difficult" feet. Sam can get his shoes anywhere but Kamryn really does need expensive shoes.

Get to the point you're saying? This year rather than our normal Columbia sandals Kamryn convinced me to buy her crocs. We got her Mary-Jane style. It took them 6 weeks to completely fall apart. The back-strap broke. Then the buttons that hold them together fell off (and were lost in the grass). I was not impressed. We didn't buy them from Kiddy Kobbler because Crocs are crocs are crocs whereever you buy them but walking by a Kiddy Kobbler (there are several in town but they are independently owned) I mentioned they had fallen apart and asked if they could help. The clerk told me she could replace the buttons but that the back strap wasn't replaceable because Crocs sold the straps seperately. Today we headed to a different Kiddy Kobbler to get the new buttons. The clerk looked at Kamryn's shoes (all I asked for was new buttons) and replaced them with a completely new pair. No questions asked. I'm still a little dumbfounded.

And once again - customer for life! Going back to his store next week to buy > $60 school shoes. I think they too may sell blue socks.

No comments: