Sunday, August 16, 2009

I still owe you 13 more things about me.

13. I'm a good cook (not perfect by far and have had some real train wrecks). I like to plan elaborate meals. I'd like to take some real cooking classes one day. Maybe this winter.

14. I love the card game euchre and am really good at it. I miss playing but I don't have a group of friends who are equally enamored of the game. The neighbours around here once chatted about having a little neighbourhood tourney but kids and obligations got in the way. I'm equally maniacal regarding scrabble but have found an online outlet for that obsession. Online euchre doesn't cut it - the social aspect just isn't there.

15. I hate not knowing something - anything. Google was invented for me. Cracks Daniel up.

16. I'm not a physically demonstrative individual. Hugging etc. freaks me out a little and I hate that that is what social conventions (i.e. on reconnecting with good friends) demand. I have no problem being affectionate with my children and my husband but anything beyond that (including extended family) and I'm kind of lost.

17. I'm also terrible at goodbyes. I just feel ackward and socially backward. I much prefer hiding out and pretending that it isn't happening to goodbye lunches, dinners, parties etc. When I was a kid at the end of summer camp I just needed to be somewhere else as everyone had their tearful goodbyes. Again I wonder if I'm somehow abnormal.

18. I have a number of serious allergies (and a ton of more boring ones). I'm reckless about them (within reason). It annoys me a little when people fuss. If I'm not freaking out; others (my husband, my parents, my friends) shouldn't be. I do believe people with allergies need to be responsible for themselves (there was more to this but I deleted it because I started to rant).

19. I consciously go out of my way to admit when I am wrong. I don't think people notice because I don't think I'm wrong very often. ;)

20. I have never really gotten over the infertility thing. I enjoy being a mother to my kids more than anything but I still question my worth as a woman because of infertility.

21. People I can't remember from high school are always finding me. Its a constant embarrassment to have to continually admit (or work hard at faking otherwise) that I have no flipping idea who they are.

22. I often don't have breakfast or lunch not because I'm not hungry but because I cannot for the life of me think of what I want to eat. Today is one of those days.

23. If I could pick any super power it would be the ability to fly. I've always wanted to be able to fly.

24. I really love musicals and fondly remember all that I've seen from my very first (Annie Get Your Gun performed by the local middle school when I was in elementary school) to the last (Spamalot, last winter).

25. Pre-kids Daniel and I had gotten into a nice routine of "hanging-out" with my parents on a regular basis as adults. The dynamic completely changed when the kids got out of the baby-stage (as babies they were just along for the ride and not really participants so no real change) because my parents focus swivelled completely to the grandkids they had waited so long for (my kids will be their only grandchildren). They have no interest in activities that don't include the kids. I miss the pre-kid adult interaction.

No comments: