Monday, August 03, 2009

Irresponsiblity and Painting

It's a holiday (nothing to celebrate just a generic holiday in the middle of summer because we deserve one!) The kids are at my parents house (until Friday morning. Woohoo!). I'm in my Pjs -- at noon. I've been out of bed for about an hour. I've only had coffee and yogurt for breakfast because I can't decide what to feed myself.

I've moved the couch two feet forward in our family room to facilitate Daniel and I playing video games (Raving Rabbits) without having to stand up to get closer to the TV. Did I mention in a previous post that we weren't teenagers? LOL

Today is about total irresponsiblity. See I can be fun too. To be honest it's really nice to be able to think only about me for a little while (between work and homelife I've been feeling a little overwhelmed - buy a plane ticket for Fiji without telling anyone overwhelmed -- for the past 8 months or so. If I hadn't had 5 weeks vacation coming I would have taken some stress leave.). Although I also have to admit that I spoke to my parents 3 times this morning (baby steps).

Daniel is completing the levels in Raving Rabbits that I can't so I will blog while he rides a Warthog around a rain filled course.

Tomorrow the fun ends (well slows anyway; there will still be sleeping in and unhealthy meals). We need to buy paint. The family room needs some serious help. When Sam was about 18 months old he took immense pleasure in taking a small hard dinosaur toy and hacking at the wall - destrying the paint AND the plaster. Kamryn thought his actions delightful and cheered him on the whole way - nothing like sibling support. The wall was wrecked before Daniel (I wasn't home) noticed what was happening. It's stayed that way for over 3 years because this was their playroom and we expected (and were not disappointed!) more damage. In April, we gave them a whole new room to wreck and the family room is more of an adult den/media room now.

So three of the four walls in the room are FINE - protected by furniture as they were. The question of the day is: do we stay with the current red and only paint the wall the kids destroyed or do we go with a whole new colour (I'm thinking a light green) which will mean a whole lot of work (covering the red won't be easy - oh and did I mention that we have 14 foot walls in this room). Daniel is concerned that our olive green couches won't match. Truth is I don't care whether our ten-year-old, need-to-be-replaced, ratty-looking-couches match or not. At some point we will have the money to buy nice new brown leather couches and whether the couches match right now or not they look universally terrible. I'm a little tired of the red (the room is open to the kitchen and the contrasting walls in the kitchen are a café au lait colour. My only worry is that the green won't be enough of a contrast. I should ask my brillant interior designer neighbour.

Anyway - new level on Raving Rabbits to conquer, more jevenile activities await me.


No comments: