Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Let's worry over nothing




I'm so used to reassuring parents worried that their child is in x percentile that percentiles don't mean anything compared to anyone else (that percentiles only matter when compared to your child's own growth). I never expected to have a problem with one of my kids.

We just got back from Kamryn's physical.

You know in hindsight I did notice that something was up but if you're not looking for trouble you don't really see it. It seems to me that while Kamryn was one of the bigger kids when she started school at 4 - her classmates grew and she did not. Seriously she went from the back row to the front in the photos. I thought it was a quirky aside.

Her doctor doesn't think its that quirky. She reassured me that Kamryn is growing just not as fast as she was in the past and this is cause for some concern. Seems Kamryn has dropped from the 67 percentile for weight to the 53! She gained 3 lbs over the year (I thought this was normal - and was stunned to realize its not). Her height is marginally better - only having dropped off the curve by about 8 points (63 to 55).

The doctor isn't panicking - she wants us to make snacks more readily available and to see that Kamryn drinks less milk (so she's not filling up on milk which I'm pretty certain she isn't). We need to go back in 6 months for a height/weight check. She also took blood to check her thyroid. Really, I look at Kamryn and I don't see any real change (duh! that's cause there hasn't been any!) We've always attributed the fact that Sam is rapidly catching up to her size wise to the fact that he's so tall; never thought her own growth could be suspect. She's not a skinny kid (but then again she never has been) nor is she a particularly fluffy one but that's not the point.

I'm just trying not to worry.

No comments: