Friday, July 24, 2009

Party Planning

So Sunday is my darling daughter's seventh birthday. Appropriately Kamryn is in 7th heaven. Party is tomorrow. It's got a Webkinz theme and she couldn't be more excited if she tried. Her mother? Less so. Somehow my seven-year old daughter is having a birthday party where there will be 4 boys in attendance and 3 girls (including her!).

Okay boys are a lot of work. They are VERY cute but they truly make me believe that cold fusion is possible. Something must keep them in energy. Little girls are so much easier. Even tomboys like mine. But we've never been a Princess Party single sex (well girl sex anyway) party kind of family though. The ratio of boys to girls would be even more lopsided but I had encouraged the invitation of a few excluded girls (more to reciprocate other invitations than because I wanted to influence who should be invited)

I'm proud of her. We got her a bicycle a few weeks ago as an early birthday present. It's red. I asked if she would prefer one that was pink or purple instead. She told me "I know I'm supposed to want a pink or purple one because I'm a girl but I want the red one. Is that all right?" This warms my mommy heart - one because she is her own person and secondly (conflictingly) because my bicycle is red and I think a little of it is that she wants to be like me.

I've told her how proud of her I am for not following the crowd but she just gives me this "you're nuts mom" look that I've come to expect whenever I tell her anything.

Meanwhile, however, I've got a party to plan - and little boys to entertain at a little girl's party (oh I hope they don't freak out when I suggest making braclets - they can give them to their Moms).

Pray for me. ;)



No comments: