Sunday, July 19, 2009

I have a new backyard.

Cost me $658.00 -- the cost of a commercial grade gate for the chain link fence behind my house.

We have a typically tiny surburban backyard (at least for here/now. My parents yard is massive compared to this). Now the yard is a reasonable sized yard for a 41 year old. It's big enough for entertaining, hanging out, a nice little kitchen garden and its certainly enough lawn mowing but it's not so great when you're 5 and 7 and want to spread your wings a little. I'd estimate it's 40 x 60. However, just on the other side of our fence is a sizable school playground (3 or 4 acres). It includes a play structure, tennis courts, soccer field, baseball field, community centre, ice rink (in the winter) - kid heaven. We have access to the park/school via two paved paths each about five or six houses from ours. Not a far walk but not one we are willing to let the kids make on their own. Actually, I'd let them make it but once on the other side of the fence, if something happens, I'm too far away to get to them so I can't let them go on their own.

Friday we got a gate installed.

So here I sit, under a tree inside the gate watching the kids play outside the gate. I can see them well almost whereever they go - very few obstructions in the way. Kamryn has a walkie-talkie so I don't have to yell like a crazy woman to get her attention (Yelling would work but the neighbours would eventually get annoyed). Sam is NEVER far from Kamryn (he's glued to her). They've been riding their bikes without me having to panic that a car will come around the corner and cream them. They've been playing ball without me having to ask the neighbours to retrieve their ball a gazzillion times. In fact Sam has discovered the joys of a rubber ball and a brick wall. We've been flying kites (well I tried but I'm a disaster). We played with air rockets. I'm liking this.

Best $658.00 I ever spent.

P.S. There is on downside I just realized - significantly dirtier kids.

No comments: