Wednesday, July 15, 2009

You’ve got to be kidding me

I thought there was nothing I would hate more than toilet training. In a gazillion years I certainly never thought it would be teaching my kids to read. It is infuriating. I'm not blessed with those kids that everyone I come across seems to have " oh one day he just popped off the breast and picked up War and Peace and that was that." I'm pulling my hair out here.

I just gave up with Kamryn and sent her away (yes, I know my mother of the year award is in the mail). Our Waterloo: the word "glasses," which she insisted must be "gu-lay-sea". This followed a struggle with "legs." which had to be "l-ee-n-g" (where the "n" came from is beyond me). To top it off (in the middle of our 10 minute struggle with "glasses" I asked Sam for a word starting with and A (so we could at least get the "a" sound right) and he had no idea. Bad mom that I am I sent him away to (not really; I told him to go and ask his father. He did know he just couldn't be bothered. Arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!)

I hate this. I took such joy in reading as a kid. This is sucking all the joy right out of it. Kamyrn can read just fine if she takes her time and thinks about how things sound but she doesn't. She sees the first letter of a word, thinks about what words could start with that letter and guesses; it doesn't matter a smidgen what the other letters in the word might be.

She does better in French (marginally) – definitely one of the weakest readers in her class at the end of 1st grade (and unfortunately she knew it). Sam just couldn't care less. We've been working hard at reading and writing since school ended (she doesn't know we're working hard. It's my secret. I can see the progress in French; not so much in English which we've worked less on so I don't know what I'm so frustrated) but I'm not having any fun! Oddly the kids seem to still be enjoying themselves somewhat.

Okay maybe at the end of an active day is not the time to practice reading. It will get better when I'm off work (5 week vacation starts Friday!) and we can read mid-morning rather than late evening. Barring that, I'm sure there are some excellent vocational schools around (kidding of course ;)).


2 comments:

abernier said...

Hey, don't despair!

1) I have twins who just finished 2nd grade. In first grade, G was quite a bit ahead of his sister, E. Their teacher said "You could send her out of class for reading support, but then she'd miss science, and anyway, I can teach a rock to read." And she did, and during 2nd grade, E caught up with G.

2) G got into the Magic Treehouse series and wouldn't read much else. E wasn't really "interested" in reading. I was shocked, having been a compulsive reader as a kid and still now. One day (also in the beginning of vacation, so yes, I was more relaxed) I handed her "Julie of the Wolves" which I'd been saving for them when they were about 10 or so. (They're 8). I said, "I can read this to you later today - I think you'll like it." E picked it up and started to read and didn't put it down until a week later, when she was done! All she needed was the right story!

3) The reading "click" is really miraculous when it happens - and it will for you and your kid - but the transition is hard, since you're always wondering "is this it? is that it? when is 'it' going to happen?"

4) really, don't despair. In our alternative magnet school in Ann Arbor, veteran teachers will emphasize that each kid has her/his own schedule of reading acquisition, and it's true!

Good luck!

p.s. I came to your blog via Snickollet, and I read your cleaning post, and I loved it! It sounds just like the trajectory in our house, with the carefully organized timetables and lists. I will know now that I should also try Cleaning Day! Thanks!

Running Potato said...

Thanks for the comment A, the advice and the visit. I appreciate it. I need to be more patient. I have good, smart kids and they will learn to read in time. I need to remind myself of that. Despite my frustrations they still get so much joy from books - really I shouldn't complain.

Looking forward to that click though. :)

Cheers.

P.S. Today was cleaning day #2. So far so good!