Wednesday, August 30, 2006

We're all going to be blind as bats.

Also today, we had both kids eyes checked. Oi! What an appointment. Sam and Kamryn spent last night with my parents so that Claude and I could celebrate our 8th Anniversary of not trying to kill each other with forks. :) I know that when they stay with their grandparents sleep isn’t to be had in mass quantities. They manipulate my parents. They go down late and get up early. My kids, neither of them, do particularly well without their normal quota of sleep. Kamryn gets hyper and annoying; Sam whiney and tantrumy. It was one of those appointments where you know the staff would be talking about you when you left. I was certain Kamryn was going to break something expensive. Sam had a meltdown over giving back the doctor the little toy she used to test his eye movement. Sigh. Both kids are eventually going to end up bespectacled. I guess not a huge surprise because both birthmoms wear glasses (the optometrist doesn’t know either kid is adopted).

Let me preface this explanation of why my kids are going to need to eat A LOT of carrots not to end up in little horn rimmed glasses with the fact that I can never remember which terms mean which (i.e. nearsighted, farsighted, short-sighted etc.). I’ve thrown the terms in here from what I thought the doctor said but I may have mixed them up. So if you’re not suffering from the same mental block I am and I seem not to be making coherent sense, substitute the opposite of what I’m saying and it will probably work.

Kamryn has developed a slight astigmatism that isn’t bad enough to need correction yet and may disappear on its own. The doctor told me that astigmatisms can appear and disappear as the eye changes with growth. She’s also LESS farsighted than she should be at this point in her development, which means she may end up nearsighted in the end. We’ll watch it she said; no worries (or glasses) until next year.

Her first comment on Sam was that he had really big eyes. Duh tell me something I don’t know. What I didn’t know, but what she explained, was that people with really big eyes tend to be far-sighted. So we’ll be watching him too.

It does though look like in a few short years our entire family will be decked out in what will be expensive eyewear. Ah well. No REAL problems have been identified and that’s a good thing.

No comments: