Thursday, August 31, 2006

I'm laughing at myself (just a little) and completely panicking

Over school lunches of all things. Yesterday, at the orientation interview for Kamryn, who starts “big girl” school next Wednesday, I found out that I had misunderstood the whole staggered start thing they are doing. I THOUGHT that the two days she was going next week (Wednesday and Friday) were half days. Seems reasonable since they are gradually introducing them supposedly. Nope – it’s a full day 8:30 – 3:00 pm. The whole “staggered start” seems a lot more useless to me now. But what has been slammed home to me is that I have to send her with a lunch on Wednesday! I think it’s the immediacy of it all that is getting to me.

I just called Daniel from work in a complete panic that he go to the store immediately and start buying up truckloads of peanut-free merchandise:

- Chewy Granola bars (what?!? You only bought a normal sized box; why not an econo box?!? Those will never last!!!!)
- Nutragrain bars
- Yogurt – ummm get little yogurts rather than the family sized jobbers we normally get. No wait get little ziplock plastic throw aways. Ummm – what if those pop open. No wait get the little yogurts AND the normal family sized ones.
- Cold meats we need cold meats lots and lots of cold meats.


Pretty obvious we’ve been married awhile. He listened on the other end of the phone as I rattled stuff off, talking mostly to myself. Then when I realized how silly I sounded AND the fact that I need to pack exactly two lunches total next week and kind of petered off and told him to ignore everything I just said he said “okay, honey”.

I am so stressed out about lunches. Lol

My kid won’t eat eggs or cheese and isn’t a huge fan of sandwiches. She’s also a messy eater and I worry what her uniforms will look like after I send her to school with thermoses full of pasta and soup (I’ll do it but it scares me). Also (just to stress me out because I am above all else a rule follower) the school has made it quite clear that only “healthy lunches” are acceptable. I stood in the hall yesterday and listened to a teacher tell her kindergartners to go to their lunch boxes and get a piece of fruit, a vegetable or some cheese to have for their snacks – yikes – she made no mention of Nutragrain Bars or muffins or cookies (my mom had it so easy!)

Sigh. This really isn’t a huge problem I’m sure. I have loads of stuff I can feed her. Daniel bought a teeny weeny bottle of sunbutter for 9 bucks – so I have that. He swears he won’t buy it ever again. I pointed out that a bottle of Scotch is $60; he got quiet. I feed her healthy stuff at home for lunch every day. She LOVES fruit and vegetables.

I’m panicking mostly I think because I need something to panic over. I’m a goof. Just thought I would share that with you all.

3 comments:

pithydithy said...

So...I guess Lunchable are out?

Just kidding. Those things kind of scare me, even though I am sure that they are tasty.

Anyway, you're cracking me up. Here you are, an amazingly accomplished woman with a big freak out about packing two lunches. I'd laugh at you, except that we're similar enough that I'm just relating instead.

Does Kamryn like pita? Sometimes for myself I'll toast a pita in the morning, cut it into little wedges, and then pack some hummus or such to dip it in.But maybe kids don't like hummus. The only ones that I know-- my nieces-- do, but they're from the Middle East and it's not so "exotic" to them.

Running Potato said...

Trying out a new thing here for me. Answering comments within the comment box. Wonder if people will go through the trouble to check back...

Sigh. I had great hopes for hummous. *I* love hummous. Maya not so much. Thanks for the suggestion though.

You're right this is silly. I have an advanced degree. I get paid a lot of money to make a politician sound intelligent. I can do my own taxes. I should be able to make lunch for a 4 year old without needing sedation.

If it wasn't that, it would be something else though. I'm also somewhat worried that because her shirts are a little to big (which puts her shoulders in the wrong place) and have this HUGE flying Nun collar on them that won't lie flat (because her shoulders are in the wrong place) that she will look extraordinarily silly.

At least with war, famine and pestilence in the world I'm keeping my priorities in order. :)

pithydithy said...

Ooh, ooh, now I can post in response to your comment-- how fun!

I, too, fail to respond to more comments in my guestbook than I care to ponder. They just...slip through. But I am honored to have been responded to, even if it's to tell me that Kamryn doesn't like hummus. There's always a giant bag of Cheetos. And don't tell me that they're not healthy. The color orange is good for you.