Sunday, October 23, 2005

Ramadan and US

So we're having a lazy Sunday morning at home. We went to mass last night and it's rainy, wet and cold out. We're all in our PJs, Daniel on one couch with a blanket, me on another with a comforter. I'm, obviously, writing. Radio is on and the kids are playing and making it impossible for me to listen to my favorite CBC radio programme.

Kamryn's birthfather is a Muslim; he's Kenyan. When we first met him (maybe he didn't want to scare us ) he really downplayed his level of devotion. Told us he didn't really practice etc. etc. Well the first time he visited we found out that he didn't eat Pork, drink alcohol etc. Okay. Ramadan is on now and it's apparent from his e-mails that he is fasting etc. So I guess it is MUCH more important to him than he indicated initially (fasting for Ramadan is not taken lightly and is quite a commitment - 27 days of no food from sun-up until sundown) so I've decided it needs to become more important to us. We obviously aren't going to convert to Islam but we would like to teach Kamryn a little about it. Ramadan is the most scared time of year to those who adhere to the Muslim faith. That's ALL I know . So I'm trying to learn a little.

The more I learn and I still know almost nothing the more complicated things seem to be getting. This isn't a straight forward religion at all. Anyway we certainly aren't going to fast from sun-up until sundown for a month but there seems to be an "out." Muslims who don't keep the fast can atone for their sins by making a charitable donation at the end of Ramadan; this is something that I think we as non-Muslims could incorporate into our lives (and reconcile with our lives as Catholics) I also think that we could participate, somewhat, in "Id-al-Fitr" which is the three-day celebration at the end of Ramadan but sharing in some of the foods prepared for this feast. This is also horribly intimidating as it involves a whole bunch of foods and dishes that are not what I'd call common in "cosmopolitan " Ottawa. I think though that I can probably find a restaurant somewhere to help me out here (I was going to actually cook but was quickly overwhelmed bu foods I've never experienced). I will start asking around this week. See what I can discover. If we lived in Montreal this would be sooooo very much easier. We have a Muslim community here but it's pretty small.

Next time Kamryn's birthfather visits I will have to see if maybe he would teach me a little (he is a professional chef).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing to do with Ramadan, but I wanted to say how much I enjoy this journal. I thoroughly enjoy reading your writings about your family and you seem to be updating more frequently :)

And no, I'm not the person who left you that message over there ... just a fan of yours!