Friday, October 28, 2005

Horton Hatches an Egg

So I just read this story to Kamryn somewhat against my better judgment (an irresponsible parenting moment perhaps as normally I would screen something questionable first but I thought “really, it’s Dr. Suess”). I like Dr. Suess. I got a treasury from the library and this story was in it. I had a general gist of what it was about and my reluctance to read it was based on an attack it took on www.INCIID.org as "anti-birthparent." I took the approach that sometimes a story is just a story and needs to be taken at face value.

For those who haven't read it this is the gist:

An elephant agrees to egg-sit for an irresponsible bird. The bird then disappears for months, but Horton, whose motto is "I meant what I said and I said what I meant; an elephant's faithful, 100 percent", never abandons his post, despite the amazing (and amusing) difficulties this entails. In the end, as the egg hatches the bird returns (actually accidently stumbles upon poor Horton and the egg) and demands her egg back. While they argue about it the egg hatches and it is an "elephant-bird" that looks just like Horton so Horton gets to keep it.

This book was written in 1940 - I find it hard to believe it was ever intended to be anti-birthparent. I can see how one could see it that way as an adult BUT I can't see a child getting that connotation or maybe I just need to take off my rose-coloured glasses. Regardless, Kamryn knows her birthparents aren’t lazy and never abandoned her. We tell her regularly how much they love her even though she doesn’t quite get it yet.

Still, would I read her racists material even though we teach her that all people are equal? Certainly not. So I’m a little torn and feel a little guilty. Awful thing is she listened with rapt attention and was thrilled at the end when the little elephant-bird is born. I really don’t know what the right thing to do here is. Not really sure I can read it again. I guess there are so many Dr. Suesses, I shouldn’t mourn the loss of one questionable one.

I once stopped watching a sitcom because of their portrayal of infertility, I was too disgusted to watch what had been a favorite show because of the light they made of and experience that ripped my heart apart daily. I know that the majority of birthparents are far from the “lazy Maisye bird” in the story. I can’t turn a blind eye because the rest of the story is kinda cute. Okay this is why I like writing, it really helps move the thought process along. I didn’t think I would end up here but… here I am. Bye Horton (at least in this particular story as that elephant gets around). Sorry for the obvious stream of consciousness format of this post.

No comments: