Sunday, February 13, 2011

What a weekend

On Thursday Sam started on Ritalin. He had his first full dose yesterday (Saturday).

OMG, we've had such a good weekend as a family. Hasn't been a weekend with someone constantly harping on Sam. He's played lovingly with his sister. He's listened. He's participated effectively in team sports. We were able to go to the grocery store without it being a disaster. We were able to eat out and enjoy ourselves. When he has had to be disciplined he's looked me in the eye when I spoke to him (something he's not able to do when not medicated). He's not even on a full dose. I don't know how much this is the drug and how much it's me wanting things to be better but it can't all be in my head. I'm really eager for him to go to school on Monday and see how things go there because this is really fantastic.

I WANT to do things with him and really before what would happen is I'd plan all these wonderful things and he's ruin the fun within ten minutes by doing something annoying. Now when he gets excited, its at a normal little boy excited level. It's fun and enjoyable and... normal.

Not what I expected at all (I really was ready for the change to much more subtle).

No comments: