Friday, February 25, 2011

Organized morning

This morning I rose "bright and early" and slid out of bed well after the alarm clock had gone off to discover the Sam who is always up with the birds was still asleep. Doesn’t take much to get him going though. Kamryn was already downstairs eating breakfast. When I got to the kitchen to pull food together for lunch I saw that the cold meat had expired two weeks ago. Now you should know several things: we aren’t allowed peanut products at the school so no peanut butter sandwiches; we do make sunflower seed sandwiches but Sam hates them; neither child will eat eggs; they had soup for dinner last night. I did think of my normal stand-by: zoodles with cut-up hotdogs in a thermos. No Zoodles or hot dogs in the house. Yikes. So I “made” them beef tortellini w/ tomato and pesto sauce. Okay the pasta was fresh pasta left over from dinner two nights ago and frozen and the sauce was out of a jar still lunch took almost all my time to prepare given we were already running late.

Time for the kids to leave for the bus stop and I’m still in my Pjs. I sent them off on their own (just to the end of our street but I generally try to accompany them.) I had exactly ten minutes to throw some clothes on, pull things together and get to work myself. I’m brushing my teeth going over checklists in my head when I remember Sam’s medication – ugh! Check the time. It’s 8:23 (bus comes at 8:25). Run through options in my head: drop pills off at school; let him skip his morning dose; run down the street like a madwoman calling his name… Ummmm…. Pass. So I run downstairs; grab the pills; throw on my Parka and my boots over bare feet and PJs and jump in the car to drive the 7 houses down the street and give him his pill. Grandmother of neighbour kid standing at the bus stop looks at me like I’m nuts. Nevertheless - crisis averted.

I was so late for work though.

No comments: