Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Stream of Conciousness

Today Daniel left before I was awake.

He’s very good at being really quiet in the morning so I can gain a few more hours sleep. I’m not as generous when our roles are reversed (although I’m generally only up a half hour before he needs to get up rather than 2 ½). Normally even with his efforts I’m up for the day when he is. This morning though I dozed gloriously. I remember the kiss goodbye when he left. Not much beyond that.

I thought of walking over to his building to join him for lunch – he only gets 45 minutes; not worth it (for him not me). Sam has piano lessons at 5:15. I’ll leave work to be home for 5:00 so that Daniel doesn’t have to take Kamryn with him too. Kamryn has soccer at 7:00, so I’ll shovel dinner (leftovers) into her and get her ready so that she can basically get in the car when Sam gets out. Daniel will take her to soccer while I feed Sam (leftovers). I’ll really see Daniel for the first time when he gets back from soccer with Kamryn after 8.

I haven’t planned dinner. No energy and while not really a reflection of the state of my marriage no real impetus. However, if we had a babysitter I would have like to go out to eat; I just don’t feel like cooking and elaborate meal. By 8:30 I’ll be bagged regardless.

I instructed Daniel last week NOT to buy me flowers. They DIE. They cost a lot and then they just die… alone… in the house while I’m at work. What’s the point? He looked a little shocked. I’ve tried to be blunt in the past about the flowers thing and he never gets it so I told him pretty much what I wrote here. Plus (what I didn’t tell him but really believe) I think flowers are a cop out. Get flowers and all is right in the world? What woman wouldn’t want flowers, eh? No need to think harder than what colour would she like. Forget that and just give me the money. How’s that for cynical.

I generally don’t get Daniel anything for Valentines day. This year for some reason I was compelled to purchase him a tie. He rarely wears ties but I’ve noticed his collection has grown a little stale. Nice silk Kenneth Cole tie. After the flower decree, I’m not expecting anything. Maybe a card. Shrug.

Happy Valentines Day.

No comments: