Monday, May 01, 2006

Of Wonderful Weather and Stay-At-Home-Momhood

We spent the entire weekend outdoors. It was amazing. Can’t believe it’s only May 1st. Seriously it was like a LATE June weekend. Saturday, the kids played out on the front lawn all day. Neighbours were out. It was just relaxing. Sunday we ended up at the park with the neighbour kids and then home for a nap and then we had a neighbourhood impromptu barbecue. My immediate neighbour, who has two kids (9 months and 3 years) said to me on Sunday – it’s so much easier to do this (i.e. hang out all day alone, sans husband, with other moms around.) Oh how true that is (Daniel worked all weekend). The time really flies when you have another adult around. You don’t even need to be chatting it’s just having another adult about. The kids help entertain each other and you have another set of eyes to help you out. It made a weekend I was kind of dreading (nice weather, no partner) so much nicer.

On Sunday when we first went out (after shopping), I looked at my watch and say that it was 11:30 and actually said in my head – okay only 25 minutes and then I can feed them lunch. They had so much fun at the park with the other kids and I was content with Mommy company that lunch didn’t happen until 12:30. The time flew and we only went in because the other kids were getting tired and cranky.

Daniel is supposed to be off this entire week (he is working Saturday I think). It’s so comfortable having him home. It makes me relax. I shouldn’t though because it always changes and I get disappointed but for now the week has begun with my being relaxed and that’s nice.

I had a dream last night that someone called to attack me about cheating my kids because I wasn’t a stay-at-home Mom. Odd because I’ve never really felt that way. Maybe my self-concious is working though things?

My kids come before work ALWAYS (i.e. I get up super early to make it into work early so that I can get home early in the afternoon to be with the kids; I refuse non-essential travel; I’ve “mommy-tracked” my career a wee bit because my family is my priority) but I’ve never felt they were missing out because I’m a working Mom. Moreover, I’m proud of the example I’m setting for both of them that Mom can be the breadwinner. It doesn’t have to be Daddy. Mom can get an education. Mom can have a good job. Kamryn called to me as I left this morning (after we’d already said our goodbyes) “have fun, Maman.” Made me smile. Except for the fact that any kid would be bored to tears job shadowing me I would be so proud to bring her to work in a couple of years on those “bring a kid for work days.” I’m thinking it would be much more fun to run around a TV station with her father. Still she will know that gender roles are not graven in stone. I like that AND my kids have an amazing relationship with their father and I like that too.

On a good work related note - after a harrowing Friday at work (the Minister must have changed his mind 8 times in 48 hours) - I completed my first real/important speech. Tonight, I hope to watch it delivered in the House of Commons. I'm very proud of myself. :)

1 comment:

pithydithy said...

Congrats on the big speech-- that's fantabulous!

Also, I read your thoughts on being a working mother with greater interest given that I'll hopefully one day be one too (albeit with a stay-at-home father. Talk about disproving gender roles, lol.) Anyways, from my vantage point, I've got no doubts that your kids are doing great with it!