Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Locked Out.

Okay, I can’t open my filing cabinet. Ugh! This isn’t a new thing. This happens pretty much EVERY morning. As I mentioned, I come into work early so that I can leave “early.” So I’m the first one in in the morning, which is good, as no one has to see me wrestle unsuccessfully with the stupid lock every morning.

It’s a big complicated padlock – the consequence of having “Secret” documents (of which I currently have only one! Not much call for speeches with Secret content lol) and having access to our “Secret” computer system which has a removable hard drive that I must lock up each night. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong with the stupid lock, I turn it and turn it and turn it some more and then it opens and I’m happy but can I remember exactly what I did so that I can do it again the next day. Uh Unhn. Generally I’ve tried so many times by the time I eventually get it open that I’ve forgotten what I did and so the next day the process begins again. I should be better at this I’ve been opening the same version of this lock for almost 12 years now. I suck.

Anyway, I’ve found when things get really rough with the lock it’s best to take a break and try again in a few minutes. Until I get the lock open I can’t do any work because I need the stupid hard drive. Sigh. So I figured I might as well post to my blog – I told you guys you would get bored with me quick.

I have a couple of unrelated cute kids things to record and there is no better time than the present. First off – Kamryn. Kamryn and a neighbourhood boy had the CUTEST conversation, from a Mom’s perspective on Sunday. Curtis is a year older than Kamryn.

Kamryn: (Eyes wide as saucers) Are those Spider Man Shoes!?!
Curtis: Yes and when I stomp my foot the light up.
Kamryn: Wow! (Proudly) I have Pink and Red shoes.
Curtis: (Honestly interested) Do the light up?
Kamryn: I don’t know.

Curtis then lifts Kamryn’s foot (they were sitting on the steps together) and pounds it on the ground.

Curtis: (Perplexed) They don’t… Weird.

No one else (i.e. adult) saw this exchange but me. It was just hilarious to me. They were so engrossed in their little conversation. Can you imagine meeting a guy in a bar with those lines. Lol

Next, the cutest thing about Sam. Sam is a VERY cuddly, loving kid despite the tantrums. He likes to snuggle if you get him in the right mood, which is something Kamryn was never really into. The BEST thing though and the cutest is when he gives you a hug (and he’s always happy to hand those out) he accents it with an “Awwwwww….” It’s to cute and I’m guessing it’s because that’s what we used to say when he first started giving hugs so he thinks it’s part of the whole hug experience. I’m not going to tell him otherwise. :)
Finally, a cute Kamryn story from this morning. Probably only cute to her mother but it made me smile and I wanted to record it. A few weeks back – desperate for some sleep – I assuaged an awake and active Kamryn by setting her up downstairs in our family room, in front of Saturday morning TV, with her cereal and yogurt (standard breakfast fare) while I slunk back to bed. This has become an occasional “treat” although Kamryn would like to eat breakfast like that every morning. She asks pretty much every morning and pretty much every morning we say no. This morning as I was rushing around getting dressed for work she came into our room. I told her to go downstairs and play and I would come down to give her breakfast in a second. I get downstairs and she is sitting in the family room with her place set in front of her – placemat, spoon, bowl and a huge box of cereal with this big grin on her face. It was all I could do not to bust a gut. She’s just too cute sometimes. How can I argue with that?

Okay, no more stories – swimming news. I called the pool and it turns out that there was a computer error and the class is oversubscribed; however, only by one kid. Nevertheless, there are three three-year olds and the coordinator did acknowledge that that poses a specific challenge. Next class the head lifeguard will join the class to help supervise the kids. That helps soothe my worries. Tricia, there are Mommy and Me classes through age 3 but Kamryn has outgrown them ability wise. She completed level I of the preschool classes in the fall and is now on to level II so going back isn’t really an option, she would be bored. Things should be better next class though.

I feel a little bad for Sam. He should be taking swimming lessons to but:

1) I hate swimming. Well not really I just hate the hassle of getting showered and changed afterwards in a public pool. If the pool was in my backyard I’d likely be there daily. I have to go in with him and that’s a pain.
2) Sam’s behavior in swimming class is erratic. Some days he loves it; others, not so much. The not so much days are really hard. Holding a squirming uncooperative kid in a pool so he doesn’t drown can be difficult. (We did swimming last fall and last winter). On the days that he is into it, he’s quite a “talented” little swimmer (for a 2 year old). This kid has coordination that boggles the mind! He leaves Kamryn in the dust.
3) I can’t count on Daniel being around to help because of his work schedule and juggling both kids in activities is just too much for me. Kamryn is more independent so easier to handle. Whatever she is doing my biggest job is to watch and look proud – lazy mommy likes that.

Regardless, I feel guilty that he isn’t doing lessons of some sort to. In the fall I will have to sign him up for something ball related, if I dare. lol He is so very obsessed with anything spherical that it’s a big production to get him to let go once he has a ball; sharing is not his strong suit but maybe in the fall when he is older. Maybe swimming then too. He isn’t afraid of the water (or at least he wasn’t this winter.) I would like to encourage that and I’m afraid that too much time away might make him skittish of course (and I forget this) we will likely get some swimming in this summer so that should keep him “in the groove”.

Okay, I got the )(*@)$&#*(^$* lock open. Only took 15 or so tries.

1 comment:

Earthchild618 said...

ROTFLMAO at the sneaker conversation. How cute is that. Oh and btw, with the pick up lines guys have these days, I would be more inclined to bite at the "do your shoes light up" line than anything adults are coming up with!