Friday, May 12, 2006

Last May I Wrote the Following

Things on the adoption front aren’t going well (they aren’t falling apart they are just moving at the speed of glaciers).

Monday, I got an e-mail from the adoption agency with Sam social history. What he is doing, what he likes etc., essentially a paper picture of our little boy. We're missing soooooo much; he's such a great little kid. He's not walking yet but he's getting there. He cries if you meet him and don't acknowledge his presence. He needs to be spoken too. :lol It made me all excited reading about him.

Then yesterday came. We met with our lawyer to sign paperwork etc. The social worker had explained to us that we would have to wait about 30 days to start visiting. The lawyer had a different tale. He says he needs the following:

1) aprox. 10 days to serve the birthfather
2) 20 days for the birthfather to respond.
3) A court date to be set
4) 30 days following the court date for the appeal process.

Okay, I sat in his office and quietly freaked. Took all my effort not to burst into tears right then.

EVERYTIME we speak to someone about this adoption they tack 30 days on our wait. So I went home and wrote an e-mail to the adoption agency. Before we even started this process we asked – will this be a legally at risk adoption and were assured that the birthfather was out of the picture and that this should move smoothly. I KNEW I wasn’t cut out for this kind of stress, which is why we asked. Had I known what I know now back in April, we wouldn’t have proceeded on this adoption. As I told our social worker last night when she called to calm us down – we could have gone to the US and adopted a newborn but we didn’t because of costs. This adoption will cost more than that would have easily AND we have all this added stress and heartache.

Anyway, it seems that the lawyer MAY have overstated things some. The adoption agency BELIEVES that the Children’s Aid (I HATE the Children’s Aid, bunch of incompetent boobs!) MAY give us the go ahead to begin visiting once we have a court date which means mid-June sometime. Then again it could just as easily drag on through July (they didn’t say that but come on the first date they gave us was April 12th!) So I’m a little discombobulated and pretty much on the constant verge of tears. To make matters worse I’m sick (with a cold) AGAIN. I barely got over my last cold (I only stopped coughing about 4 days ago) and now I’m sick again. I think I may go see my doctor and take a week of sick leave to just unwind a little.

No comments: