Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Instant Award

So I won a workplace award. When I first got the e-mail informing me of the fact I thought it was a bit of a joke. The award is called an “Instant Award.” Sounds hokey, no?

Here’s what the website says:

iBoutique is the exciting, new instant recognition program from the Government of Canada. It offers a terrific selection of gift items that celebrates you the recipient…

Your dedication rises above the ordinary and has not gone unnoticed. This selection of gifts is our way of saying thanks and acknowledges our praise and respect for you…

Congratulations, we hope you will enjoy your gift and the sincere appreciation behind its giving.


Okay – yay me. I received my award – along with my team and a host of other people working in our division for work we did on something called “Committee of the Whole.” Let’s just say Committee of the Whole ruined May for me. I’ve also supposedly been recognized for running my little team for the last little while. Everyone received an award at the i3 level. Mine was i6 (there are 8 levels) I’m not sure if that’s because I’m being recognized for doing more on Committee of the Whole or just more in general. Dunno.

I don’t know what to pick. The prizes are weird. Luggage is leading the way right now but I'm not all that certain we need luggage. I can pick anything from any of the categories up to i6 but feel that I might be cheating myself somewhat to pick something from a lesser category.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you get your supplementary T4 yet, for the value of the instant award. Looks like a taxable gift, judging by the supp T4 I'm looking at. Grrr!

Running Potato said...

Supplementary T4? Don't even know what that is. I got my T4 though but didn't look at it all that carefully since I haven't done my taxes yet. I'm not realy surprised its taxable. I wondered that at the time. Really though in the grand scheme of things they aren't worth all that much and doubt it makes that much of a difference in my bottom line. Still happy to be acknowledged (although I've heard since that the person that did the acknowledging was forced to do so so that kind of ruins the mood a little; sadly it doesn't surprise me).