Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Treadmill Potato

I'm a little worried about my level of activity. Or maybe that should read inactivity. I sit at a desk all day. I walk 4 minutes to the bus stop to go to work. On the weekends I stand in various arenas and watch this or that child play hockey. I don't *DO* anything. I'm noticing my flabby self more and more and while vanity isn't enough inspiration to make me do anything drastic about the flab, I'm honestly worried about how unhealthy I am.

I have no excuses. I have the time - oodles of time. The kids go to bed at 8. I'm normally awake until 10:30/11:00. I'm not entertaining my husband who has abandonned me to his studies. I'm lucky if I spent 10 minutes talking with him during the week. We communicate via text message it seems. I no longer do any extra-curriculars because there is no one to watch the children. Daniel took my computer apart to "fix it" three weeks ago and it has gone the way of most Daniel projects. I have accepted that I may never use it again. So I sit by myself or -- more accurately -- lie by myself and watch television. My excuse is that I'm tired at that point in the day. Poppycock!

Yesterday, my right-brain whined about exhaustion while my left-brain forced me to get on with it. I cleaned off the treadmill, re-arranged the TV and took a walk while watching Law and Order. Not bad at all. It wasn't particularly strenuous (it wasn't meant to be) and after 40 minutes I was reluctant to stop BUT, since I haven't exercised in many moons, I thought it prudent not to overdo it. My left-brain will hopefully win the arguement once again this evening and I will walk for the duration of one TV drama. If I'm going to waste time watching TV, I might as well do it on the treadmill. With some determination I could easily walk (or even run!) an hour or two a night.

Go left-brain!

No comments: