Friday, March 05, 2010

So this is how it is to live without real winter

We're entering silly season. Which is insane given that it's the first week of March and normally we have a good four feet of snow on the ground but that's the type of winter we have had. Mildest, calmest winter I can remember... EVER. I'm pretty certain that the kids will be out on their bikes this weekend. Normally that's not really practical until May.

But it's warm (warmish) and sunny and if we still have a snow pack (there will be snow but much of it should have melted) this time next week I will be surprised. People keep cautioning that we could get whacked with a major storm still; but really? We've had ONE major storm this winter (normal count is 5 - 6). The storm was in November I think. The last significant snowfall we had was the beginning of January. I was outside (and quite comfortable) without a coat this week!

So back to silly season ... how to dress the kids. Normally we hit this point in mid to late April. It lasts no longer than a week. We go from frozen tundra to sunny spring over the course of a few days. All the snow melts all the mud goes. I like that. This year it's going to take longer. Conceivably 6 weeks or more (it's warm but not THAT warm). Sam no longer owns rain pants (my cousin took them by accident and never managed to return them). He doesn't have a between season coat. I sent him to school this morning in snow pants and his ski jacket because if not he will come home a soaking mess. He looked like Nanook of the North. I have no doubt he will be uncomfortably warm. I may look for a jacket for him at lunch. Kamryn had a semi-warm spring coat that she wore this morning with the addition of a fleece. She also wore rain pants; over her snow boots.

I hate this time of year (we had the same problem this fall as winter took its sweet time coming). The kids come home over-heated and COVERED in mud. There is no getting around it.

Then again I love it that it's spring in March.

No comments: