Thursday, January 28, 2010

Winter Without Snow Sucks

I left the house this morning to catch the bus for work at 6:30 am. It was DARK. Like middle of the night dark and as I stepped onto the front doorstep I steeled myself -- as you do in the frozen North -- for the cold blast of air that I expected to greet me. I hadn't worn a hat - out of pride not practicality. All my muscles were tensed up but as the breeze ruffled my hair I realized it wasn't all that cold a breeze. I tenatively relaxed and realized it was realtively balmy out (- 6 C). It's January gosh darn it. It's supposed to be frigid (I won't be disappointed tomorrow I'm sure as a cold snap and - 21 temps are forcast for overnight) and its supposed to be snowy. Altogether this winter has been far too mild with WAY too little snow. The snow we do have on the ground (about two feet) is dirty and unattractive. It's icy and not good for playing in. It's boring.

About a month a go I whined on facebook about the fact that it wouldn't stop snowing so I guess there is no pleasing me. Then again that wasn't fun snow. It was annoying 5 cm a day snow. There is no fun in that - although it does keep it looking pretty. I'm mostly annoyed because we haven't had ANY good storms. We had a so-so storm in December sometime - maybe 20 cm of snow. THIS IS NOT WINTER!!!!

I want a real storm. I want a "everything is cancelled" stay home and drink caoco and hope the power doesn't go off storm. I want to have trouble getting out of my driveway. I want to worry about the snowdrifts being too high against the kids' bedroom winters. I want to HAVE to leave work early because the driving is bad (and somehoe leaving early will make it better lol). We can normally count on three to five of these a winter. This winter we have had ONE and it wasn't all that bad.

Harumph... I wasn't cut out for boring ho-hum winters.

No comments: