Tuesday, January 05, 2010

To a non-stressful year!

Happy New Year one and all! I had decided not to make any resolutions this year but changed my mind on New Year's eve. I had a revelation over the holidays that will hopefully make 2010 a less stressful year than 2009. It started with me being angry with my husband. Actually it started with PMS. I'm awful crabby around that time of the month. I know the cause but surprisingly that doesn't dampen my irrational anger any.

Christmas was kind of a downer this year. My Dad was upset that my aunt was alone in the hospital (although we did visit her for a couple of hours that afternoon). When Dad isn't happy if really takes the air out of the room. To make matters worse, Maya was sick with stomach flu. Nevertheless, I tried. I tried HARD. I made brunch for 12. I made dinner for 8. I planned for days. I shopped. I prepared. I cooked. It didn't change the mood. People ate... reluctantly. No one seemed to care. In the middle of dinner Maya (who was mercifully in her room at the time rather than at the table; luckily I was at her side to "help.") threw up everywhere. Daniel helped clean up and thereafter claimed he had lost his appetite and had no interest in the meal I had spent two days preparing. Thanks honey!

How does this impact my New Year's Resolution you ask? Well by New Year's Eve, all PMSy and having stewed over the endless leftovers for a week (if you cook for eight and only four eat there are LOTS left over) I had decided that no one really cares. I put a lot of pressure on myself to please. Things "should" be a specific way. I'm not sure others notice all that much. And if that's the case; why am a digging and early grave with effort and worry?

As an example, for Christmas dinner this year I took a Bartlet pear, sliced it into thin pieces, seasoned them and layered them between wax paper in the oven to bake them. Then I had to separate them from the flipping wax paper - not easy I was making a garnish for the cauliflower soup I served as a first course. It was delicious. The pears were great. Daniel pointed out that the soup would have been fine without them. Thanks honey! He's right; the soup was better with them (it was delicious) but no one would have noticed (save me) if I didn't make them.

The only one to notice (or compliment my hard work) throughout the holiday was little Sam (who probably had ulterior motives) and pronounced on the suppers I put together out of leftover one evening as "the best meal he's ever tasted." It was leftovers (hot turkey sandwiches with frozen corn on the side and packaged gravy). So ya, who needs Bartlett pear chips when there is boil in a bag corn?

My New Year's resolution: less is more. I'm just going to be lazy this year. Think more about what will be most expedient rather than what will be most spectacular. What will keep me sane and happy rather than what "should" be done. Its going to be more about me and I have to be less about perfection.


Its a sad resolution because I feel I'm giving up a little of what makes me me to follow it but I'm hoping that in the end it will leave me happier. By the end of 2009 I was frazzled. Hopefully by the end of 2010 I'll just be happy.

No comments: