Sunday, October 11, 2009

A woman's work.

Friday I took the day off. We've had a very busy fall and there has been literally no downtime at work so, ostensibly, you might think I had a nice relaxing and enjoyable day off. You'd be wrong.

It was the kind of day that made me feel capable with a capital C. A good day.

Friday was my father's 75th birthday. I volunteered to host a part for him and his 60 closest friends at my house for Saturday. I took Friday off to prepare. Wow what a day. By 8:30 am it was apparent to me that it was going to be a helluva day so I thought I'd keep a running tally of what I actually did all day. That was kind of fun and allowed me 30 seconds rest ever so often. You wanna see my list? If you don't you're gonna have to stop reading. Sorry.

So...

BTW ever so often I remembered to write down the time but its very haphazard. Sometimes I wrote of what I was about to do rather than had just done and while it got done kind of in the order listed I wasn't perfect so some things are slightly out of order. Still an awesome list (yes, I'm bragging); if rather boring (I didn't do anything amazing; I just did A LOT).

- 8:00 am Up, shower, fight with child#1 re: school attire (how is it that she wears a school uniform and some mornings it is STILL a struggle?)
- made chili for dinner (discovered we had no chili powder)
8:30 Daniel generously made me coffee
- take laundry out of washer and put in dryer
- run the dishwasher
- fold laundry (not the new laundry)
- organize DH's office
- organize kid's toy closet (toy closet and the office had me muttering under my breath about others messes but easier to clean it myself than supervise)
- clean playroom
- made up bed in spare room
10:30 am breakfast! (toast and peanut butter)
- "convinced" Daniel to fix the hinge on the kitchen cupboard that I have been asking him to do for weeks (did this by going into his workshop and getting out a drill to do it myself; I have no idea how to use said drill and Daniel knows this; not passive agressive at all, really *grin*)
- open up dinning room table
- cleaned out walk-in closet in front hallway
12:00 field trip!
- popped into police station for a criminal records check (for hockey)
- dropped Daniel at the mall (he was on the way to school and I saved him a bus ride)
- stop in at Costco to renew membership and order 2 cakes for Saturday.
- Stop at Hallmark for by a birthday card for Dad
- stop at Bulk Barn for stuffing supplies
- stop at Farm Boy for stuffing supplies
- stop at Party Supply Store for decorations and to order balloons
2:30 lunch - Mickey D's
- home notice that the my Parents have visited and dumped off a bunch of supplies in my kitchen
- haul 6 cases of pop to the basement fridge
- finish arranging Dining Room
- sweep up the dead leaves that have fallen off my living room plants
- wash all the towels in the house
= make stuffing for two turkey's
4:30 Pee! Seriously
- toss towels in dryer
- assuming I'm done with laundry convert laundry room which is just off the kitchen into a butler's pantry (this involves placing a board and plastic tablecloth over the washer and dryer so that I can then dump all sorts of stuff on top of them)_
- zip out to pick up the kids from the bas stop (15 minute drive as the bas drops them off at my parent's house)
- gas up car on return journey
- make corn bread to go with chili (oh I got chili powder at Bulk Barn and the chili is now powdered)
- strip sheets off all the beds (doh! laundry!)
- undo butler's pantry
- wash sheets
- dinner with the kids
- unload dishwasher
- fold laundry
- makes kids' beds
- clean 3 bathrooms; by bathroom #2 I'm dragging
- pack away leftovers from dinner
- wash dishes
- sweep kitchen floor
- shake out mats
- 9:00 pm hang garland and happy birthday sign in playroom turned party room
- sweep dining room and front hallway
- locate kids' hockey equipment to prepare for hockey practice at 7:00 Saturday morning
9:55 pm diet coke!
- made bed with Daniel - he did most of the work at this point because I was fried.

No comments: