Monday, October 19, 2009

All the boring news that's fit to print

I. Wow do I get a lot of work done at work. I'm sure you're saying isn't that the point ... Thing is it isn't the work I'm getting paid to do. It's a the minutiae family stuff that needs doing. I was away sick last week (just a cold and an unfortunate and embarrassing minor back injury) but boy was I behind. I've been here an hour and a half and I'm just now thinking about blogging (oh I kill myself I'm so funny). I'm just about to turn to "real" work.

Let's see, I've rescheduled the kids eye appointments because I accidentally double booked them on a day Kamryn has a skating development class.

- I've researched quotes for uniforms for the concert band I play with.

- I've searched all over town (via phone) for a tray of water bottles with long spouts (all the sports stores are sold out because everyone wants this type of water bottle - doesn't touch the drinker's mouth - because of H1N1).

- I've ordered name tapes for Sam's Hockey jersey.

- I've arranged to pick up a manual that I need for hockey (for me not the kids) from the Training Coordinator who lives a few blocks from our house.

Okay not all that much or all that exciting - but it took a whack of time.

II. Okay please tell me how both my kids hockey coaches can have the same name - worse their last names both begin "Be..." I'm not with it enough to keep the two teams separate in my head at the best of times and now every time I get an email from the coaches I have no idea what child they are talking about.

III. The team "Kamryn skated with" (Daniel's descriptive phrase) beat the beejeebers out of the other team on Saturday: final score 8 - 3. Kamryn didn't contribute much. Basically skated around on the ice looking dazed (in a very cute way) most of the time. Once she touched the puck... briefly. She had fun though.

I - well I had a great time as the trainer. I stood in the corner of the bench and helped open the door when the kids needed to change lines. I yelled at the referee to postpone play (and was either not heard or ignored) because our goalie had a problem with his pads. And I... ummm... well that was about it.

Oh I learned that in minor hockey they only play three periods - actually I learned that in all hockey they only play three periods (this was when I expressed my surprise to Daniel on the "shortened" game). Yes sports fans the official trainer of the Cumberland Novice Thunder didn't know how many periods were in a hockey game. Goes to show you. :) I did warn them that I hated hockey and knew nothing about it. Okay I didn't mention the hatred part.

Also, on Saturday afternoon I "had to" go out and buy a black ski jacket because the rest of the coaching staff all wear black (team colours are black, gold and white) on the bench and I felt a little obvious in my bright red jacket. During the next game I will blend and that's really more important than knowing how many periods there are isn't it?

IV. The kids want to be a toothbrush and a bottle of Listerine for Halloween. I had feared it would be a grand disaster. I did a mock-up of the toothbrush yesterday and although they will look nothing like the people in the link I posted - it will be all right for a 7 and 5 year old whose non-sewing mother made their costumes. Pray for me. Nothing like obsessing over disappointing your kids.

Okay that's all folks.

No comments: