Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Justifying my worth

I'm working on a cover letter for a job competition here at work. My confidence level is not high. I applied for the same competition last spring and "screened out" for not meeting the criteria even though I felt I clearly did.

I was mad - oh so mad. Ready to quit mad. Nothing like being told you don't qualify to apply for the job you've been doing for over a year.

These competition are obstensibly open to all (i.e. all Government employees) but the qualifications you need to possess really makes them internal (to about 20 of the 150 civilian employees in my Group). We're a small group. I knew the director who screened me out - very well. I went to see him. I ended up crying in his office. Frustrated tears but tears nonetheless. Wonderful.

That competition went nowhere. I don't know what happened (I'm speculating there were a lot of people like me - but without the tears and the board recognized they had done SOMETHING wrong). So now there is this new competition. Applications are due Thursday. It's a big deal. It wouldn't necessarily mean a job change for me (I've been in an acting role for well over a year now) or even more challenging responsibilities but would mean I would be getting paid for the work I'm doing which would be nice. It would be some recognition of my experience and worth. It's a pretty senior position though and they aren't just going to give it to me because I'm such a nice person.

My supposed error last time was not adequately describing my experience. Oddly the new poster advertising the competition (as opposed to the last one) has a paragraph written in capital letters telling applicants to demonstrate that they meet the criteria for their job in the cover letter which is not to exceed 3 pages. My resumé is only 2 1/2 pages in length. The cover letter is longer which to me is a little bizarre. I haven't worked on my resumé at all but I will have to make sure it matches this insane letter. It's a terribly written letter but it does describe in detail how I meet the criteria.

I'm scared to submit it because I just don't have the heart to go through the mess that was last time all over again.

Hate this.

PS. We're bleeding staff because it is so hard to get promoted within our organization. Isn't that ridiculous and how come I'm still here?

2 comments:

Katia said...

Good luck with your application!

Running Potato said...

Thanks Katia. I submitted it today. The letter was 3 solid pages, single-spaced 10-pt. font. Insane. My resume is less than half as long. When I read the letter (and I was completely honest!) I sound so impressive then I realize that the things that sound so cool were actually pretty mundane while I was doing them. Good for the ego if nothing else. Although not screening in will not be at all good for my ego. I'll keep you posted.