Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Returning to “Our home and native land...”

So here we are hurtling through Southern Ontario having just crossed the border. It's nice to be "home" again. Don't get me wrong, I like visiting the U.S. – very much actually. It's just different enough to be a bit of an adventure while being common enough to be easy. But there is a comfort to being in your home country and to carry it one further, your home province. Here I can complain righteously about things, safe in the knowledge that I have every right to complain, praise or try to change things. I have confidence that I know and understand the laws. Hell, that I know and understand the food! Who knew food could be so very different in places so much alike (there were sausages, biscuits and a HUGE TUB of white stuff that I later found out was gravy – yuck! Who eats gravy for breakfast?) And, I know where I am in the universe without consulting a map or our GPS.


 

Anyway, I enjoyed our little sojourn through the Northern U.S.. Michigan is really a beautiful state. I got to see it from one end to the other – twice! And Wisconsin is no slouch either. I'm firmly biased against Minnesota though because every time Daniel drives though he gets a ticket (we escaped unscathed this time). It's not even that we're speed demons either just bad luck and some confusing signage – thus the bias – it's like we are targeted because we have Canadian plates.


 

Oh! And I just clued in and turned on the radio. I'm so desperate for news: Canadian news... international news. I'm sorry but Americans do a piss poor job at relaying what's going on in the rest of the world. I know all about Obama, McCain, the US Olympic team and the Tropical Storm that hit Florida. I know a little about Russia and Georgia and there it ends. Although I must admit the "Daly Report" is a hoot! It's not real news. I'm desperate to know what's going on in the world beyond the US border. In 7 minutes (it's 7 minutes to the top of the hour) I will have real news. I'm not alone in my assessment of US broadcast journalism – Daniel gave a "Thank God" when the news started. lol

Anyway, on to more mundane topics. We are definitely getting to the point though where it's good this little journey is coming to an end. All this quantity time just might kill us. The kids are antsy and Daniel and I are just tired. Sam 24/7 is an exhausting proposition (at home when you're at the end of your rope you can always send him to his room – for the past 10 days though his room has been the same as my room. He's a good kid but he needs his alone time just as much as his parents. And Kamryn is just gone completely giddy. Getting her to bed each night is getting harder and harder.

Okay battery dying, more later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, oh! You were in MN and didn't even stop by for a visit?! Glad you enjoyed your road trip (bias against MN aside) and that you're glad to be home (which is the nicest feeling). Just wanted to let you know I'm still reading. Billie