Friday, August 15, 2008

Oh to see life through the eyes of a four-year old

So here we are in finally (it rained for the first two days we were here as if we'd done something to offend God) sunny Winnipeg. Yesterday we went to visit my Father-in-law. My father-in-law is a very sweet man who told the funniest little stories. He was laid back and just fun to be with. Kamryn used to follow him everywhere like a shadow; it was hilarious to watch. He didn't seem like a "kid person" but here was this little kid toddling after him and it was so obvious that he just loved it. The kid's don't remember that man. He was sick by the time we adopted Sam and never really got to know him all that well. Now he is a shrunken (he has gone from over 200 lbs to under 120) little man who doesn't speak. He spends his days wandering the ward in a wheelchair that they have had to strap weights to the wheels to keep him from moving too fast (he runs down the other patients). Yesterday was the first time I had seen him in three years. When I last saw him he wasn't the same man I had known but he could walk and talk and take care of himself. I didn't want to see him yesterday. I went because, I think, it was expected that I would. I really wanted to remember him the way I knew him before but hey I obviously needed to get over myself as this really wasn't about me. I was though quite nervous about having the kids see him.

   
 

They took it in stride. I think Kamryn was scared although despite many questions about how she was feeling and if she wanted to ask me anything she seems to have taken it all in stride. Sam was intrigued that Grandpérè didn`t talk. Like any child who has questions and doesn`t quite understand he managed to work the fact the Grandpérè didn`t talk into everything he said for the first 10 minutes or so of our visit. My father-in-law had taken a fall a few days earlier and had gotten some stitches so he had a bandage on his head. At one point Sam pointed out that he too had a "bobo" -- indicating a mostly healed scrape on his knee – but that he still talked. That out of the way Sam climbed into his father's lap and proceeded to play cards with Grandpérè (Who doesn't really play as much as hold tightly onto the cards). At the end of the visit Sam went over to his grandfather and gave him a very tender hug and marched happily off to the elevator. The visit really showed his personality. He is such a rough and tumble kid but when he needs to be he slows right down and can be so incredibly sensitive. I dare say he did better than all the rest of us (his uncle, aunt, 2 cousins, sister, mother and father). I think we all learned a little watching him.

No comments: