Sunday, December 02, 2007

We have entered a new era!

This morning Daniel and I slept in until 9:30. Well there wasn't much sleeping going on. Hey! Don't think like that. There wasn't much sleeping going on because the kids were in and out of our room announcing various victories. Like, I beat Sam at Candyland etc. Big surprise there. lol (On that note I hope my little sister never plays chess with anyone else).

Anyway we stayed in bed until 9:30 while our delightful (see how delightful I can find them while abrogating my parental responsibilities) children got up; got dressed and went to the kitchen to make THEMSELVES breakfast. At around 7:45 (what a delightfully late hour!) I heard them arguing in a stage whisper about how the other was about to get in trouble for waking us up. They left us completely alone and were relatively quiet until 8:20 or so. That was when the calls of I'm hungry started and I told them, in an annoyed mumble, to go and eat . I didn't really expect anything to happen except a loud wail from the kitchen that someone needed help but it never came. Although Kamryn did come flying into our room to complain because Sam had taken "her" bowl. She was equally delighted when I told her to use a "regular" (non-plastic non-kid-friendly) Now breakfast wasn't pancakes, eggs and sausage rather it was cold cereal and yogurt and they couldn't find the yogurt in the fridge so that part had to wait until Daniel dragged himself out of bed to see if our kitchen had survived intact. There weren't, surprisingly, huge puddles of milk in a trail from the fridge to the the table. Woohoo!

For months I have been slowly prepping Kamryn to serve her own breakfast. I generally let her retrieve her own cereal bowl and attempt to wrestle cereal into said bowl and sometimes I let her pour the milk. Sam's favorite phrase is (shouted in an urgent pleading for an end to parental involvement voice) "I know how," despite not having a clue. So he tries to participate as well. No matter, there is always a great deal of parental involvement. But not this morning. And it wasn't at all planned (had it truly been planned I would have made the yogurt more readily available). I just woke up with a lovely sinus headache and my tolerance level was, depending on your perspective, remarkably low or remarkably high.

Anyway, After 5 1/2 years I see sleep in my future (well at least on those days where there aren't 60 million classes and practices to get to). It feels good - freeing - the concept of sleeping-in.

Oh, another milestone we passed today - I heard for the very first time: "But Maman, we have NOTHING to do." This doesn't fill me with as much joy as say Kamryn's first steps. In her defence it was uttered (as she stood in a toy strewed room) after asking me if they could go to the park (indoor park at the mall - with the windchill, its -21 C (-6 F) out and they are calling a foot of snow today we aren't going to the neighbourhood park!). I said no, not because I'm a mean Mom but rather a really nice Mom who is taking my darling children (darling child #2 just bit darling child #1 on the back of the head) to see the movie Enchanted in an hour. I suspect, with the weather, the movie theatre is a bad place to be but what can I say - they made breakfast while letting me "sleep!"

No comments: