Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I'm excited - Going for my first rejection letter!

Last summer I wrote a little piece about my summer vacation and posted it on some boards I frequent. On one of the boards someone commented that I could probably sell it. I was very flattered especially when someone else backed her up. Then I found out that the person who backed her up is a freelance writer and likely knew what she was talking about. She told me she would help me try to get it published if I would like. Well the nature of communication over a busy board meant that that idea kind of fizzled. She never responded to my post replying that I would love some help getting it published and I was too ...hmmm... shy, stupid, humble, nervous, incredulous ... pick a word... to pursue it any further but it's kind of danced on the outskirts of my consciousness for some time now. Then I read the "Devil Wears Prada." lol I've been inspired by a schlop (entertaining schlop) to actually follow through.

E-mail makes it easy. So I'm lining up a bunch of magazines that might publish something like my "piece" and I think I will send it out and see what happens. Nothing to lose. Won't cost me anything but my pride - not that there's much to damage there; I'm an amateur in every respect; the last English class I took was in Grade 13. Don't even have any university credits in English. What do I know about writing - other than speeches anyways (not that I know that much about speeches either). Wish me luck.

2 comments:

pithydithy said...

Cool! You gonna share the piece with us?

Dawn said...

Good luck! And I'd be happy to share what I know! :)