Saturday, April 08, 2006

Some comments on my comments :)

First, I love comments. :) Makes me feel loved. I love you guys.

Our computer is in our dining room (beautifully furnished as my house is lol) which is open to the living room. Out our front window, when I look over my shoulder from this seat all I see is my neighbour's house. It fills the window. I'm hoping that when the weather warms up I can grab her one day and ask her how it's going without being too pushy. Give her an open door that she can come through if she wants to. I actually was going to drop her an e-mail, which is the easiest way I know to be unobtrusive but my laptop died a month ago with ALL my e-mail address. I have them saved somewhere else but it will be pain to retrieve them. I guess I have to unlazify myself.

I forget that most people reading my blog aren't Canadians and aren't into "Canadaspeak." We are obsessed here with what language people speak.

Fran·co·phone or fran·co·phone: A French-speaking person, especially in a region where two or more languages are spoken.

An·glo·phone also an·glo·phone: An English-speaking person, especially one in a country where two or more languages are spoken.

We also have:

Allophone: A person whose native language is other than French or English.

Interestingly for allophone, when you look it up in the dictionary it is actually listed (with this specific definition) as a uniquelly "Canadian" word. Daniel regularly claims to be an allophone as he is a french speaking person NOT born in Quebec (the PROPER birthpalce of all french at least according to Quebecers). He complains that they would complain his french isn't french enough.

3 comments:

Earthchild618 said...

Thank you for explaining that to me. I was lost!

pithydithy said...

Ooh! I just got a hit to my journal from yours! I see that you posted me as a friend (again!). Thanks! I love you almost as much as I love my favorite new word, "allophone."

Tricia said...

2 weeks and no new post??? c'mon!!! LOL