Wednesday, April 26, 2006

So I'm annoyed

Am I overreacting?

Kamryn is enrolled in a “pre-ballet” class run by the city (so it’s cheap!). It’s not dance studio quality but we don’t expect that; she’s never going to be a prima ballerina. I just wanted a programme to channel some of her energy and for her to have fun. It meets that criteria and best of all is held at the community centre a 3-minute walk from our house. This is the third session she has been enrolled in. Last night was their fourth class. Both sessions prior to this one had an enrollment of at least 8 students. This particular class only had 5, two of the students (sisters) had only come to the first class.

I raced home from work (I leave early on Tuesdays to get her there one time). We shoveled her dinner into her, hurriedly changed her clothes and literally ran the whole way to the community centre for the class. We get there and their instructor, Jessica, is standing in the hall waiting to great us. She informs us that if the two little girls who hadn’t been coming didn’t show this evening that she wasn’t authorized to teach the class and that the class would be cancelled (the other two students who had been coming did show). Class is supposed to start at 6. So we stand around waiting (and complaining to Jessica, who didn’t make this cockamamie decision) until 6:10. Just before we are about to pack it in the two little girls and their mother arrive late. Well bubblecakes!

1) These kids are registered in the course. They have paid their money, what does it matter that they don’t come to the classes!
2) Doesn’t the class coordinator have a phone? Couldn’t he have called and warned us of this possibility? Has he ever had to tell a three-year old that was looking forward to something that they couldn’t do it?
3) Couldn’t he have contacted the missing kid's parents in the 7 intervening days between the last class and last night's class and maybe NOT made the decision at the last freaking moment. (Parent of the girls tells us she had a message left on her answering machine about their attendance the same day as the class; now she could have been lying but I don’t think so).

Anyway, I wasn’t going to call and complain because what good will it do – but I got myself all worked up and have now left a message for the coordinator to call me back (my experience is that I will likely have to call him back! Grrrrr!). Would you let it slide? Do I need to take a valium?

2 comments:

Earthchild618 said...

I would take the valium just for the hell of it. But I would NOT let this slide. You are right...the two girls paid the money so teach the class with or without them. If he doesn't call you back, call him back! And save some valium for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'd be FURIOUS, not annoyed!!!