Tuesday, November 02, 2010

HIs first real suit

Yesterday I bought Sam a suit, at his request. My 6-year-old is dying to wear a suit. A wee (completely hyper and totally out-of-control) Alex Keaton perhaps? We were watching Battle of the Blades the other night and one of the hosts was wearing a suit. Sam asked me if he could dress like “that man.” Then a skater came on the screen and he got all excited “No! He exclaimed not like him. Like the other man.”

“The man in the suit?” I asked.

“Yes, he replied” and calmed down a little.

“Ummm… why?”

“I just like it.” he said.

I did a private dance of joy – no “Pants on the Ground” for my kid. My kid has style.

Last week he asked to wear a tie to school. It didn’t survive the day intact (easily fixed though) so the suit may not have been the best idea his Mom has ever had. Anyway it was on sale and I kind of liked it and he asked for it. My 6-year-old asked for a suit. How could I resist. The only problem was the smallest size they had was an 8. I was sceptical but figured at the very worse it would hang in his closet and he’d wear it next year. It was a good price for a nice suit. I was hoping it would need a little tailoring and he could wear it for the next two years (first communion suit – done! Bonus!). Ummm…. He swims in the pants (because he has no discernible waist) but aside from that no tailoring needed – doesn’t even need a hem. Daniel is doubtful that he’ll still fit into it come Easter. It’s a size 8 for pete’s sake! I’m not buying a size 10 for my first grader. Ah well. Maybe his cousin will have a nice suit for his first communion (the two are only months apart but I have to keep reminding the children this, as Sam is about a head taller and a gazillion years more mature).

No comments: