Sunday, November 02, 2008

US Election

I'm very interested in the US election. Transfixed. Six months ago I truly didn't believe that a black man could be elected as US president in my lifetime. I still don't totally believe it and my stomach gets all butterflie when I think of Tuesday. My mother asked me the other day (in jest) who I was going to vote for because I'm watching things so closely and I guess talking about it all a little too much.

Today I tried to explain the whole thing to Kamryn. I try to explain things political to her. This is nothing new; its something I've always done. She, unlike most Canadian elementary school kids, knows who the Prime Minister and the leader of the Opposition is – as does Sam. Its stuff we talk about in kid terms. I thought given her heritage (half Kenyan/half "Canadian") Barack Obama was a particularly appropriate topic. So I tried to explain the whole black-white prejudice thing. Really hard to do in kid terms!

Then I tried to explain Barack Obama. Okay that fell completely flat. Barack Obama, according to my six year old, isn't black. Neither is she. Or her brother. Now she will readily tell you she isn't white either. She is brown. I am black and Papa is pink. Makes me feel kind of warm and happy inside (despite her rejection of her heritage) because it means that no one is teasing her or haranguing her for being "black." At her age, I didn't have it so lucky. Now she is right of course; she isn't black and her race is actually pretty hard to pin down without being given some clues. She's pretty ambiguous so maybe that is the reason for the lack of teasing. Not so her brother though and he was whom she compared to Obama: "he's not black, he's just like Sam and Sam is just like me." Okay ...

As in many of our political conversations, I quit while I was ahead. We'll talk about it again a little later. If the election turns out the way its expected she's going to study this election in history class one day, the way I studied JFK's election and hopefully be a little awestruck.


 


 

1 comment:

Katia said...

What an interesting post!
It is amazing to witness history, isn't it?