Thursday, September 04, 2008

Touch Down!

Well some parents feel melancholic when their last child starts elementary school. Not this time. Wednesday morning it was just an immense feeling of relief. lol I got him there and it didn't kill either of us. I'm exhausted. Never was there a child more ready to be at school than Sam.

The bus comes at 8:15. At 7:03 Sam woke me with a kiss and a warning that he didn't want to be late for the bus (i.e. get your butt out of bed Maman THIS is an important day). Normally I'm so organized but this morning I realized I hadn't labelled any of his clothes (the ones he is wearing or the spare set) or his knapsack or lunch box. Not that that took all that long.

He rode the bus to school with his sister (who was also bouncing off the walls with excitement for him) and we met him at school. I stood back where he couldn't see me and took a bunch of pictures of him just "hanging." He was a little nervous but mostly he was almost excited enough to jump out of his skin.

He's going to be a challenging student to have in the classroom. All power to praise to his teachers today and for years to come. Pictures:


Sam and his teacher at our intake interview LAST week:



Dressed (in a more Sam-friendly uniform shirt – he may never wear his white dress shirt ever again) and ready to go:



Running to the bus stop (just a wee bit excited):



Waiting for the bus:




Getting on the bus:



Arriving at school:



Off to class. He was transfixed by this little girl who I THINK the teacher put in charge of him because she realized he wasn’t going to follow calmly. That evening when I asked him if he made any friends she was who he mentioned (we know her because she is the older sister of one of older Kamryn’s friends). That’s the school Director next to them. She thinks he is cute. Little does she understand how well she will get to know him.

No comments: