Monday, January 17, 2011

Relatively Balmy

Everything is relative. I got up this morning and I couldn’t get out of bed. Well I was physically able I just didn’t want to. The weather channel said it was – 25 C out and after been spoiled with weeks of unseasonable warm winter weather I wasn’t ready to face – 25. Ugh! But the world must go on.

So I planned well.

My favourite black wool slacks.

A black turtle neck;

A stylish light cardigan (for fashion not warmth);

And socks, comfy black socks (certainly not a day for nylons!).

When it came time to actually go outside, then I turned on the big guns.

My well-worn but comfy black Helly Hansen fleece;



my Columbia hikers (with thinsulate!);



my knee length 600-down fill Land’s End Parka;



My super warm and long Gap scarf;

< sorry no picture; couldn't find one online, just picture long and grey and constantly shedding lint onto everything I wear but oh so loved >

And my super thick leather down-filled Kombi Ski mitts.



I didn’t wear a hat to avoid hat hair but I put up the hood on my parka and cemented everything into place with my scarf. To get to work I park my car at a Park-and-Ride and then have to hoof it over a fairly long highway overpass to grab a bus on the opposite side. It’s a cold walk on a regular - 10 morning. Last night, after watching the weather forecast, I lay in bed trying to figure out a way around having to take that route. This morning, I looked like an Inuit warrior but I was so toasty warm. The cold never touched me. I’ve been colder (honestly) when it’s been +10C out.

Everything is relative. Given the choice between being too warm or too cold I’ll always take too cold. You can ALWAYS put on another layer but you can only take so much off.

The whole city is one massive fog bank. There is ice fog everywhere. It’s très cool.

2 comments:

Katia said...

Oh, hilarious!!! :)))

Diva Mom said...

Hello, just checking on you and your family I'm an old friend from LOL (1999). My son was born when your daughter was born. She is growing up to be a lovely young lady. Your writing is always so inviting.