Monday, September 14, 2009

Relaxing Weekend

So Friday my employer gave me a surprise project that would necessitate a minimum 10 hours work over the weekend. Yay! Especially last weekend. What a weekend.

Friday at 6 pm Kamryn had a hockey pre-conditioning session.

I raced out of work to get her there on time. (Daniel was in class.) My mother was generous enough to feed both kids an early dinner for me.

We spent an hour at the rink. Kamryn had fun. We get home to a message on the answering machine from Sam’s grandmother that she is coming up for a visit and should be in town around noon on Saturday. Wonderful. Here is was the planned schedule for Saturday:

10:30 -11:30 Kamryn Piano lesson
12:30 – 1:30 Kamryn hockey evaluations
1:00 – 2:00 Sam soccer
4:00 – 5:00 Sam hockey pre-evaluation skate
6:00 dinner guests

Oh and it was cleaning day! Did I mention none of these activities took place even remotely close to one another and that we only have one car. Nothing could go wrong (ha!).

When Daniel got home he had instructions to call Nana and tell her she could come but she wouldn’t see much of Sam. She decided to come on Sunday instead (remember my minimum 10 hour project?).

Got up early on Saturday – pulled together the raw ingredients for supper – chopped veggies etc. Figured we were in good shape.

Daniel got down to cleaning while I took Kamryn to piano. Piano ran late (it’s a group class) – of course. We left early. At 11:45 I dropped Kamryn off at home so she could eat lunch while I ran to the grocery store for some last minute supper supplies. When I got home at 12:10 (remember nothing can go wrong), Daniel is on the phone yelling at the customer service agent from the gas company. Apparently our hot water heater sprung a rather severe leak. They couldn’t send someone out to look at it until Sunday.

I had to get Kamryn to hockey. Sam had to go to soccer. We have one car.

So we left Daniel at home to try to contain the leak and I took both kids to the rink. Daniel was to join us when he could (using pedal power) and then I would take Sam to soccer (he was SOOOOO excited to be going to soccer. He got up and lay out all his soccer clothes including shin pads and shoes). Got Kamryn on the ice on time. Discovered that there is a girls’ hockey league (they were having evaluations on the adjoining rink). I accidentally signed Kamryn up for boys’ hockey. I saw one single solitary girl besides Kamryn among the hundreds of boys I saw this weekend. Oops. She doesn’t care.

Daniel arrived at 1:00 and Sam and I dashed off — late — to soccer practice. Then back at 2:00 ish to pick Daniel and Kamryn up.

Home for 45 minutes. Have lunch. Mmmmm.

Daniel goes back to work to drain the hot water heater. Suit Sam up in his hockey gear so of course now he won’t fit in his car seat. Kamryn wants to come with us so she sits in his car seat and he sits in her booster (he’s big enough for a booster but we prefer him in a car seat; luckily Kamryn at 7 is still small enough for a car seat). Head off like a madwoman towards the rink – the wrong rink. In the complete opposite direction from where we needed to go. I discover this when on arrival at the wrong rink I pull out my blackberry to google local rinks and my appointment reminder indicates my mistake. Wonderful. Flip around and arrive at the new rink with 1 ½ minutes to spare.

Let me tell you this, 5 year olds in hockey gear – hilarious! 7-year olds are much too serious.

Dash home. Run around like a madwoman pulling the house together. Floors got washed. Carpets didn’t get vacuumed. Two out of three bathrooms got cleaned. Stove, neglected.

Start dinner (luckily the menu was REALLY easy – I’m not a complete fool).

Kids both need a bath. No hot water. So we boil giant kettles of water an haul them upstairs. We can only get water in the big roman tub in the master bath. Something with the way the pipes are rooted in the kids bathroom. Bathe both kids – same time in lukewarm water.

Finish dinner.

Guests are late – woohoo!

Guests arrive. We eat. We drink. We put the children to bed and drink some more. Round midnight the guests leave and I collapse exhausted in bed. As much as I like my friends I was looking at the clock forlornly at 9:30 and wishing them gone.

2 am Sam – living in the house without hot water -- wets his bed. Sigh.

Sunday morning, the sound of Church bells wakes me up. They are blessing school bags in church this morning (bizarre! We had nevertheless planned to take the kids). I asked Daniel what time it was – 10! Lol No Church for us.

Remember that 10 hour project; I haven’t started on? Well it had to wait. Kamryn has a poem to present in class on Tuesday. That took precedence. Poem preparation while I ate breakfast. Then I pulled out a stack of reference material and opened up the laptop – in the dining room where I stayed for the remainder or the day (we have an office but I’ve always been a dining room table type of girl.)

I finished after dinner and collapsed into bed to watch old Star Trek episodes in an attempt to be nice to Daniel.

That’s all.

2 comments:

pithydithy said...

Wow, I'm tired just thinking about that weekend! I'd have so called the friends and canceled dinner based on the no hot water thing. You're obviously not a quitter like me! Hope this weekend was relaxing-- not in the sarcastic sense!

Running Potato said...

We were lucky - they were/are the kinds of friends who you don't have to put the good china out for and don't care if you greet them in sweats and with stringy hair. But you're right we should have cancelled just because we were exhausted!

I'm thinking... there is probably a lot of hockey played in rural Vermont. I'm thinking minus the hot water tank giving out - this could be you in a few years. ;)