Sunday, March 29, 2009

My husband is a nut case

Dropped Sam off at a birthday party yesterday and had a few hours to kill. So we're driving to the paint store to choose colours for our newly finished basement (the completion of which was a three-year oddessy!) and as a whim we decided to stop and look at some new model homes in our neighbourhoud. We absolutely fell in love with a home not much bigger (300 sq. feet) than our own, but a bungalow rather than a 2-storey. Therefore, on a much bigger piece of property – huge basement as well.


 

Gorgeous.


 

Oh and it could be ours for a mere quadrupling of our mortgage.


 

In this economy, we could quadruple our extremely manageable mortgage to move to a house that we don't really need. This house is worth on paper – more than DOUBLE the assessed value of our current home. Can you hear the hysterical laughter?


 

Daniel isn't working. Daniel hasn't worked since last February really. He had a week and a half I think in July but that was it. We're doing fine on my salary (better than I thought we could). Yes, I've had some stomach tightening, headache giving moments as I examined our finances. Yes, I've thought winsomely (greedily?) about all the things we could have if DH was pulling in even half my salary. However, without sacrificing too much we're doing fine and I'm thankful we have it so good.


 

But no – we are not going to buy a new house. I knew that. He knew that.


 

So there he is with the poor real estate lady – asking all these really tough questions. The questions you ask when you are going to buy the house. What's the slope of the property? How would the house be positioned on the property. Where will the utility boxes be (ie. Would they be on our property of the neighbours). She's getting out plans and blueprints. She's chatting up Kamryn, who was along for the ride. She's telling us all sorts of wonderful things about the neighbourhood (we're in walking distance of our own house). We left loaded down with flyers and price lists and plans. Geez... louise. I kept giving him these looks and he kept going. Talking about how it would be a good "garden plot" and what we could do with the basement to build and in-law suite for my parents. Nuts I tell you!


 

As an aside, as I write this entry Sam is playing with a little bell he got from preschool a gazillion years ago. Playing with it the way a cat plays. Swatting it with his "paws." He's been at it the whole time I've been writing. It's a little disturbing. My son the kitten. At least he has stopped the never ending play-by-play that was driving me nuts.

No comments: