Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Busy, Busy, Busy, Boring, Boring, Boring

So this is going to be short; it’s been one of those days and I’m beat. All I’ve done all day is write frantically and that’s not particularly what I want to do now. To tell you the truth I want to climb in bed and sleep but alas that is not one of the choices I have. Tomorrow is what they call an “ Opposition Day” in the House of Commons. We need to prepare the Government to debate a motion brought forth today by the Opposition. We got dinged this week although not to badly. Our Ministry was not the lead Ministry so we only had to prepare one speech. Unfortunately, it fell to me to write it. Normally a speech takes about 10 days to work up. Ideally 17 days (there is an extensive approval/editing process). I started writing at around 10 this morning. It all would have been fine except today Daniel and Sam left to visit family in Manitoba. I darted out of work at 3:30 to whip them to the airport and then fly back to work – Kamryn in tow. She was good. She coloured and watched television in my office and only seemed to demand my exclusive attention when I was editing with my boss – oops. Ah well he has kids. We didn’t get out of there until 7 though – yikes. Grabbed some barbecued chicken for a quick dinner on the way home. MMmmm healthy… not. I just got her in bed and now I’m waiting for our translators whose task it is to translate the entire speech into French and send it back to me tonight so that I can deliver it to the Minister’s office before I go to bed. Sigh. Did I whine about how tired I am?

I’m tired and I miss my little boy. I’ve left him once since he came home. Once for 24 hours. Can I survive 6 days? I keep wondering how he’s doing. Daniel and Sam just know how to push each others buttons. Daniel doesn’t have any patience and Sam is one proud, stubborn and mischievous (did I tell you he breaks things now just because he can?) two-year old. Unfortunately, Daniel often forgets the two-year old part and I need to remind him. Now I’m not there to remind him. I’m sure they will do fine. This is good for them.

I’m kind of enjoying being a single parent of one school-aged child. So far (6 hours in; lol) pretty easy. Without a sibling around to impress, influence, cajole and generally get into trouble with she is such a good kid. Okay she’s normally a good kid but her and her brother can bring the house down around your head with little effort and quite regularly do.

We’ll see how tomorrow goes. Tomorrow I have to go to work. Go and get my eyes fixed (I found out on Monday that both my retinas are partially detached. They will fix the left one tomorrow and the right one next week). It’s supposed to be a fast and relatively painless procedure. I plan to go back to work afterwards. Dart off at around 2:30 to collect Kamryn from school and then go back to work with her in tow. They are calling for a snow storm though so perhaps that isn’t the best idea. Considering the late night we had tonight I may beg off.

Friday night, I’d like for the two of us to either go to Build-a-Bear or a movie together. Whatever we don’t do on Friday we will do on Sunday. Saturday we are hosting an 85th birthday party for my Aunt. Kamryn is super excited about that. All told – busy and tired. I think I might curl up in bed with a book and come back to see if my translation has been delivered in an hour or so.

Sorry once again for the banal entry. I promise to write something more profound in the coming days. Promise. Cheerio.

3 comments:

LONDA said...

Hope you can't get some much needed R&R soon. Good luck with your surgery and (((HUGS)))) to you as you miss your boy. 6 days will be over in no time.

LONDA said...

Hope you get some much needed rest this weekend and BIG ((((HUGS)))) on missing your little man. He'll be back in no time.

Running Potato said...

Thanks Londa,

Apart from missing Sam (and Daniel), this has been a lot of fun. I LOVE having a daughter. We had a great bonding weekend. AS for the eye surgery, thanks for you good wishes. It HURT but apart from about 15 minutes of being uncomfotable and a lasting headache it wasn't so awful. WE go again on Thursday for my other ete. Yay.