Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A Whole Mish Mash of Stuff -- Life, Christmas, Birthparents.

I rule! Okay not really but I feel so in control this year (note I didn’t say I was in control just that I felt that way). House looking Christmassy – done. Christmas newsletter – written. Christmas cards – mailed. Christmas packages – mailed. Christmas shopping – done (except for some gift cards I have to pick up). The newsletter and the cards are generally the bane of my existence. It all just sneaks up on me. Not this year for some reason I got on the ball and got the pictures taken and the cards ordered in time. I got the newsletter written at work during the lull we are experiencing. I got them all out last week and for once MOST of the people on my list will get them before Christmas (might be dodgy for the outside of Canada people in that I think cards to Europe and the Carribean were supposed to be in the mail by December 5th and I didn’t get them out until the 8th. A well. Still they are gone!

My parents couldn’t watch the kids today and Claude had to work so I took a family day to play SAHM (okay I bent the truth a little and told them I had to take the kids for flu shots. We are allowed five family days a year but they must be used for illness or medical appointments etc. I do have to take the kids for flu shots but not until 5:30 pm). So Sam and I did a ton of errands this morning. We dropped off some old coats for the poor. We shipped Kamryn’s birthmother her presents and I bought all my supplies for baking cookies and squares. After I finish writing this blog entry I’m off to wrap all our presents.

Baking is the project for this weekend. We have no social activities planned for some strange reason (not complaining at all!) and Kamryn and I will bake, bake and bake some more. :) I even managed to pick up the raw materials for our gingerbread house. Unfortunately, I could only find an already assembled house which is kind of disappointing BUT really that step was pretty easy last year so I’m trying not to be too disappointed (I’m NOT doing one from scratch!). Kamryn actually asked about doing one without any prompting from me. It makes me all warm inside to realize that I’m creating traditions. :) Looking forward to the weekend.

Work has pretty much come to a grinding halt. Last Friday I had a last minute emergency tasking that I handled in stride and had me staying a little late at the office but that wasn’t too awful as it was the only work I had done all week. I also had to hang around because I’m competing for a promotion (and had waited until the last minute to complete my application!). I think looking at the many qualified people competing along with me that I’m mostly wasting my time (and my stomach lining!) but I couldn’t not put my name in. I will have to spend Christmas studying – ugh! I won’t mind if/when I don’t get the promotion (I kind of like my current job) but I NEED to get through at least the knowledge test (it's a pride thing). Let me get an interview and then don’t promote me but please let me get to the interview stage. The knowledge test is very scarey. To put it in perspective EVERYONE competing will have at minimum a Master of Arts (many will have PhDs) and EVERYONE is sweating this knowledge test. Merry Christmas. I’m guessing the exam will be in mid-January.

On the adoption front we have had an interesting development this week. We (well actully the adoption agency we used) has heard from Sam’s long lost birthfather. He sent the Children’s Aid an e-mail to ask how he find out some information about him which they then forwarded to our agency. Sam's birthfather still thinks that Sam is a Crown Ward and I guess had no idea he had been adopted (not for lack of trying on our part; he was served papers; he was called; he was pleaded with). Anyway he left his name, address and telephone number with the adoption agency. I have to sit down and write him an e-mail and find out what his contacting us really means. Sam has been on this earth 2 ½ years and he has NEVER even seen a picture of him – again not for lack of trying as Sam’s birthfamily were ready to move mountains to get him involved prior to deciding to place Sam for adoption. He had the opportunity to participate in the process once we got involved and all he did was make things difficult for us (wouldn’t sign any papers but wouldn’t return phone calls or show up in court either!) Anyway, I don’t know if his reaching out now is serious or not. For Sam sake we will reach back but we’re not even certain he is his birthfather. I don’t want to get to involved with him if he isn’t so I guess I need to find out the particulars of getting a DNA test done. At least I don’t have to hire someone to track him down first which I thought was going to be the case. I hope he is his birthfather (despite a rather unattactive history/profile) because any history (bad or good) is better than no history. :( We’ll see what happens. Watch this space.

Also in this edition of birthparent chronicles, Kamryn’s birthfather surprised us this Fall (I think I forgot to mention this byt pardon me if I already have) with a surprise wedding announcement. The guy we didn’t think would ever marry (he’s 45) got married. He’s living overseas right now and we don’t have a lot of contact with him (I keep asking him for an address and he’s yet to furnish one which is a little annoying and odd for him). I responded to his e-mail (the first one in almost a year) and he never responded back. He will (I hope) call over Christmas. He married a woman much younger than himself. Makes me nervous (and almost certain) that Kamryn will end up with some siblings. I had hoped that would never happen simply because it raises the question of “why them and not me.” :( Again, we’ll have to see. I’m also VERY nervous that the difficulty we are having staying in contact with him means he is drifting away. I hope not. :(

Okay on that happy note I better go wrap presents. Have to pick Kamryn up from school in an hour.

No comments: