Friday, September 29, 2006

So I converted this blog ...

to be all handy-dandy and modern and well I discovered (not unexpectedly) that what it did was make it impossible for me to blog from work. Thus my silence over the past little while. I often blogged during a spare moment here or there at work -- no more. :( Well I can blog. I just can't actually post to my blog. So I wote this a few days ago and I'm just getting around to posting it now.

I am a professional writer. Something I have always wanted to be. Somedays, like yesterday, I am a VERY good professional writer. Somedays, like last week a pretty bad one. There is nothing to indicate which one you will get though. Doesn’t matter the topic, doesn’t matter my knowledge level or even how I am feeling.

I wrote a really good speech this week, well last week actually. It was horrible to write. I volunteered to write that particular speech because I thought the topic would be interesting – it wasn’t. It was painfully boring (to me! The audience will probably be interested) after about the first page. It took me forever to write, not because I was working so hard, but because I spent much of last week procrastinating and surfing the web rather than writing. The final product though will make people laugh and will make people cry. That’s something that I’ve learned, over the short while that I have been doing this, you can’t purposefully try to do. You just have to write honest speeches and if the spark is there is will be there. This speech hums, I’m proud of it.

So here I sit waiting for the critics to tear it apart. After we write a speech, because we aren’t experts in everything or anything for that matter, we send it out to the experts to vet it and make sure we aren’t saying anything wrong or anything that will have Islamic militants putting a price on our heads (take note Pope Benedict!). Apparently, my speech, brilliant as it is, is FULL of factual errors. Don’t blame me, blame our Chief of the Defence Staff as he pretty much dictated the speech to me (I just made it pretty). He’s a big cheese though and I’m not going to tell him he was wrong. I’m letting the experts do that directly (there were many fireworks set off yesterday. I lit the fuse and then went home). So as I said here I sit. I have nothing to do until the fireworks are finished. I’m somewhat nervous since the critics (I mean vetters) didn’t say what was wrong with my speech just that it was full of errors.

In my spare time I figured it was time to write Sam “his story.” I wrote one for Kamryn as a present for her first birthday. Sam’s will be a present for Christmas. I will also redo Kamryn’s at that time as hers is a flimsy laminated book and technology has advanced somewhat since I made it. It also has some pictures in it that I don’t want to use anymore for various reasons.

Okay now back to all my bragging about being a professional writer. I have no idea how to go about writing my wee son’s story. It’s so complicated and kind of depressing and it can’t be. It has to be something he is proud of. His beginnings. His origins. How much he was wanted and loved. Ugh! How do I convey that? I’m going to stop procrastinating here now and go and stare at a blank screen instead. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I am sure it will be just what he needs it to be :0)

Anonymous said...

:-))) After you converted the blog I cannot post comments from work!!

Running Potato said...

Sorry 'bout that. As I said neither can I. :( If I could go back I would but I can't. :(

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's ok!
It's good that I can still READ your blog from work! I'll just post from home. :)